Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Jira respond to emails faster?

Eagle Seven June 2, 2015

We are trying to use JIRA Service Desk as a new Helpdesk tool for my company. We work in an industry where response times need to be in seconds. When our user base send in an email, we find it takes 2-3 minutes to generate a response email back to them. We set the IMAP check time to be 1 minute, which we think is the lowest value. Any tips or tricks to get email response times for end users to be really fast?

Thanks,

Shea

2 answers

0 votes
Greg Johnson April 21, 2018

We cannot see any way to even modify the IMAP polling interval.  Email responsiveness is also a problem for us with Jira SD.  It takes multiple minutes for each cycle, which is not acceptable for our customers.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2018

It's hard coded. 

But in your case, it's also pretty much useless.  If "it takes multiple minutes per cycle", then your systems are too slow.  Imagine the process - Jira asks for mail, jira gets n mails and processes each one into issues and comments.  If that takes (say) 1 second per mail, then if 100 mails need processing, you absolutely do NOT want another process to start trying to pick up the 40 mails one minute later, or you'll get duplicates.  So it only runs one at a time. Increasing the frequency of the check is utterly pointless.

If it's taking over a minute when polling, then either there's a lot of email to process, or something is slow.  I've seen large Jiras handle several hundred emails a minutes easily, so if it's the Jira side, it's down to server speed not the code.   I would recommend you check if Jira is slow in other ways, just to rule that out, and then take a look at your mail servers and the connection between Jira and them.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2015

Set up an individual mailbox for each mail handler, don't use catch emails.

Make sure you have a forward address configured so that bad emails are not processed over and over again.

Minimize the total number of services on your system as much as possible.

Eagle Seven June 3, 2015

Thanks Boris. Is there any way to set the IMAP fetch interval to be less than 1 minute?

Thanks,

Shea

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2015

You may be able to do this by tweaking the interval on the services page? I believe the value there is in seconds if I remember correctly. Keep in mind that making the interval too short, will also have a negative impact as each check also has the overhead of setting up and then ending the connection. The more frequent your checks, the higher the % of time of each check is spent on this portion of the work.

AdminTeam EMC February 28, 2018

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if anyone had any luck tuning the performance of incoming email fetch to be less than 1 minute? Ideally, we want it to be every few seconds.

Also, where is the services page that @Boris Berenberg referenced?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events