Can Jira Service Desk do Workflow Actions?

Andrew Culver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2013

The basic back-and-forth of our workflow goes Open -> Investigating -> Waiting On Report -> Investigating -> Waiting On Reporter -> ... -> Closed.

Is it possible to have the customer portal force the user to use a workflow action instead of just leaving a comment? This would push the status from Waiting On Reporter to Investigating, instead of just adding a comment and leaving the ticket in Waiting On Reporter.

Or is it just recommended to use an Autotransition Listener for this purpose? If so, is it possible that the listener can be set up to only auto-transition if the comment is added by the customer in the service desk portal and not if added through the regular Jira interface?

Thanks,
Andrew

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
ɹǝʞɐq pɐɹq
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2013

JIRA Service Desk has some auto transition code in it today. If a requestor makes a comment then it auto transitions into Waiting for Support.

That said this code ONLY works if the workflow is the native workflow as installed into a new Service Desk project.

If you are using your own workflow OR you have enabled Service Desk for an exsiting project then this auto transition code wont work. It wont work because we cannnot sensibly KNOW qwhat constitutes a bounce for that workflow.

So in this case you should use your own Auto transition Listener code to run to match the workflow you have.

Cheers

Brad Baker
Service Desk Architect

Andrew Culver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

Hi Brad,

The problem I've found is that the user see's "Waiting On Reporter" so they add a comment. The auto-transition happens, but since this happens AFTER the fact, the user still see's the issue is "Waiting On Reporter" until they reload the page.

It sounds like what I want isn't possible at this time.
Andrew
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2014

Hi Andrew,

this seems still to be a problem. I agree with you. Easily configure Workflows for Service Desk with auto-transition is still not possible today. At the moment I am evaluating SD for our existing Jira-Instance.

I tried to reach the transition effect by inserting sd.action.keys, like sdInit, sdWFCustomer and so on... (Saw that keys on the original workflow).

@Brad

Is any update planned on that behaviour, so that admins can design their own workflows (including transitions) for SD purposes easier?

Best regards.

Mario

0 votes
Karolina Lasoń [Deviniti]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 18, 2019

Hey @Andrew Culver,

You can add workflow transitions that will be available for the customer on the Customer Portal. I think this article about extending Jira Service Desk workflows to the Customer Portal can help you with that. 

Cheers! 

Andrew Culver
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2019

Thanks. This now works as it should. This behaved differently back in 2013. :)

0 votes
Csaba Tamas October 17, 2014

There would be a possibility: to use a property on the workflow transition or state which means for your listener to move and where to.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events