Can I forward an email out of jira service desk

Kevin Mattern August 24, 2017

We use the service desk inside of our it department. when we get an email which does not belong to us i'd like to forward it from the service desk to an external mailbox. how can i do this? there is no forward function.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2017

@Kevin Mattern, so are you saying you are using the email creation method (e.g. Helpdesk@urcompany.com) and someone issues an email to your helpdesk@urcompany.com that was incorrectly sent, i.e. Does not apply to help desk@urcomany.com?

Are you using your own email channel or one provided by Atlassian? 

@Jack Brickeythanks for your reply! there is a user sending to a mailbox e.g. "support@", this mailbox is configured in jira help desk and an issue will be created. now i simply want to forward this email (including cc) to another mailbox, who has no access to the helpdesk. was this understandable? :-/

@Jack Brickeyim just rereading your comment and i think you understood me correctly. Email channel is our own.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2017

so the next question is how do you determine if the email is intended for support@? The only thing I can think of doing is constructing a server-side rule to redirect 'invalid' emails. The problem is (an IT question) that if JSD processes the message before the server rule does then it would be gone. but rule should hit first i think.

erm, i have not configured the setup so i do not 100% know, but i will ask the admin tomorrow. at the moment every email sent to support@ creates a jira ticket and the sender gets an email that we created a ticket for it. isnt that the standard way of doing it?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2017

yes that is working the way it is designed. New email = new ticket. Email reply to the created notification (issuekey in subject) = comment added. So if you don't want some emails to equate to a JSD issue being created you must get them out of the associated email inbox before JSD mail handler see and procesess it.

Thank you Jack, so there is no simple way of forwarding an email once a ticket has been created? i have seen the addon "email this issue", but 10 bucks a month for a simple forwarding feature is kinda too much :-/

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2017

There is no email to "forward". JIRA doesn't maintain any emails they are simply used for processing. With that said, you can set up Automation rules to send emails. However, that presumes that you can define rules/conditions that define 'invalid' issues. However, I suspect that it takes a human to identify the 'invalid' ones. Regardless, lets say your agents identify issues as 'invalid' then they could close w/ a resolution of "teamA, teamB, etc". Then automation could send an email to 'teamA, teamB, etc. All of this will take some setup and IMO is unnecessarily busy.

If the other teams were to use JSD then it would be a simple matter to move to their project or JSW and your agent could create a linked issue in the other team's project and close the original JSD issue.

Final idea here....if you want to retain a record of the original email have a rule on the mail server to forward to another 'holding' mailbox. Your agents can access this mailbox to forward the emails that originated in 'invalid' JSD issues.

good luck

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events