Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I comment to customer without changing status?

Emma O'Flynn November 20, 2018

Hi all,

Is there a way to add an extra button when commenting on customer tickets to just provide an update and not change the status to waiting for customer?

Currently I have share with customer and an automation rule to change the status to waiting for customer when that button is used. I still want to keep the automation rule, I just need a way to add a comment to customer without changing the status. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2018

The way we handled this is that we don't use automation on "share with customer" comments, just for the reason you cited - we sometimes wish merely to pass along information. We created a transition that solicits a comment and then changes the status to "Waiting for Customer" for times when we DO wish to change the status. You may consider doing something similar.

-Payne

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2018

yes. this is the correct method. change the automation

Respond to customer = notification and transition to waiting for customer

Share with customer = notification w/o transition

Thanks Jack. At the moment the only buttons that appear when commenting on tickets are share with customer(which changes the status) and comment internally. Is there a way to add a respond to customer button?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2018

Go to Automation and find the rule that is changing the status on Share with customer and update so it does not. I thought by default there was a Respond to Customer ‘button’ at least there used to be. Regardless, you can add this transition between “waiting Support” and “waiting customer” or similar statuses. Then set up automation for when a customer comments it goes back to waiting Support.  I can share my automation rule tomorrow if it isn’t clear.

Emma O'Flynn November 21, 2018

Thanks Jack. I am happy enough for the share with customer to change the status until I figure out how to get the respond to customer button set up and I can distinguish the 2 types of responses. I really want to figure out how to get the respond to customer button visible so I can then update the automation as you have described. 

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2018

Emma, what we have done and what Jack is suggesting is to add a transition to your workflow. Here is a portion of ours; see that there is a "Contact Customer" transition that moves an issue from "In Progress" to "Waiting for Customer". We use a simple comment screen for the transition.

image.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2018

and here is my automation for transition on comment....

transition on comment.jpg

hopefully this is clear. Please let us know if you need more info/assistance.

Thank you! I already have the transition on comment to waiting for customer. I essentially want the option to not transition on comment or to transition to waiting for customer depending on the type of comment I add.

I would like share with customer to remain in progress and respond to customer to change to in progress. But the problem I have is that I cannot see the respond to customer button when commenting on a ticket. 

Comment Screen.jpg

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2018

That button will appear up top as a transition when it is added to the workflow as I showed.

image.png

Like Emma O'Flynn likes this

Ah! Now I understand, thank you!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2018

the "respond to customer" is not part of making a comment. it will be at the top of the issue as it is a transition. see if these images help...

Here is my workflow that illustrates the transition to-from the W4S and W4C statuses...

fit-wf.jpg 

here is where you find the transition on the Issue Detail View screen...

respond to customer.jpg

0 votes
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2018

Are you able to comment internally? If not can you change the rule to public comments will change to "waiting for customer" status?

Hi, thanks for your reply! I can comment internally but I need to provide status updates to the customer without the status automatically changing. I also need the option to comment to customers with the status changing. 

Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2018

I think that will be impossible since both will be going through the same channel. I don't think Jira can differentiate between giving the customer an update and waiting for customer to reply to last comment.

I will leave this one for more experienced members to tackle. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events