Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call "Create linked issue" function during transition

Ron Santschi January 30, 2018

I would like to enable users in Jira Service Desk to click a button (e.g. "Send to Engineering" which will then call the "Create linked issue" function where they can select a Jira software project and the issue type (e.g. bug, feature request).

In essence, I would like to call the "Create linked issue" function during transition. Is that possible?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver031/linking-issues-802165194.html#Linkingissues-Createanewlinkedissuefromanexistingissueinaservicedeskorbusinessproject

2 answers

0 votes
Nicola January 30, 2018

With Jira Service Desk Project, you could create a new automation:

when "status change"

if ...

then "creade issue"

You can choose as the type of link and other options.

the downside is that it must be replicated for each project.

Ron Santschi January 31, 2018

Thanks Nicola. I think if I were to use "Create issue" the issue would not be automatically linked to the originating issue, and the content of the original would not be auto-copied over. Or can this this be done?

Nicola March 21, 2018

Sorry for the delay of my response.

Try to use automatic role on a JSP Jira project, and set to Create Issue in another project.

Then you can set some (but not all) field that will be copied from original to old. And the linked issue too.

See below... there are more options.

Automation.jpg

Cameron Stubber June 14, 2018

Did you get the issue linking to work? I am trying to do exactly this, but the Link Issue will only work if it is creating an issue in the same project as the one triggering the automation.

Ron Santschi June 22, 2018

No, I haven't been able to accomplish this yet. It's not critical for me, so I'm waiting for one of the many tool vendors to support this.

Cameron Stubber July 17, 2018

Hi Ron, I managed to achieve this using 'Automations For Jira Lite'. However, I would prefer not to send my data away to a third party just to create a linked issue.

Walter Haas November 26, 2018

Hi Cameron,
I wonder how you achieved this. I could only do it by defining a project within the rule itself. Not that the user can select in which project the linked issue should be created. Could you please explain it?

Cameron Stubber November 26, 2018

Hi Walter, 

That was how I had to do it, with the hard coded project in the rule itself.

I ended up removing it and deleting the addon (as I mentioned, I did not want to give my data away).

I am working with Python now making various scripts/bots that just check on JIRA every few minutes and then do some actions, creating a linked issue would be one such usage (read new issues on Project A, create a linked issue on Project B).

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2018

Hello,

It is not possible to call Create linked issue button during transition. But you could write your own post-function which would create a new issue and set required links and field values to the created issue. You would need an add-on for it like Power Scripts or Scriptrunner. There are also other add-ons available. But I just have more experience with the mentioned add-ons.

Ron Santschi January 31, 2018

Thanks for this tip, Alexey. I had looked into that approach. My challenge is that I have been unable to find an add-on that allows interaction with the user. The add-ons I found can all set predefined values but for my use case I need the user to interactively choose from a list of Jira projects and set the correct issue type, just like on the "Create linked issue" screen.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events