Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to stop new tickets being raised in service desk

James Littlefair May 21, 2018

Hi All,

I am looking for a method to disable the creation of new requests through the customer portal in Jira Service Desk whilst keeping the ability to comment on existing requests.

My first thought would be to hide the requests from the portal, but the version of service desk in use is 3.1.9 which I believe predates the ability to do so. Additionally, this operation needs to be easily reversible so deleting the request types outright is not ideal.

I tried removing the create issues permission from 'Service desk customer - portal access' in the projects permission scheme (this was done in a local test instance using a recent copy of JSD), however this seemed to stop the customer from viewing their open requests in the portal.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

James

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2018

Hey James, 

With the versions you have, there isn't going to be a pretty solution to this. The best I can offer is one solution that isn't very clean if you really want to do this. 

The issue is, as you mentioned that removing the permissions for "Create Issues" also takes away the ability for users to browse existing requests. 

Rather than taking away the ability to create permissions through the permission scheme, you will need to restrict users at the workflow level. Navigate into the project settings and on the create transition for each workflow, place a validator such that only users with the "Service Desk Admin" permission can created. 

This will still make users able to fill out a form, but block them from actually raising the request. I would place something on the portal itself warning users not to fill out tickets as they won't be able to raise them. 

This allows users to browse and edit previously raised tickets without being able to create new ones. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.03.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.03.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.02.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.02.13 PM.png

Hi Kian,

Ah thats much as I thought. Very frustrating, but I think as you say its the only option.

Thanks very much for the quick and thorough response.

James

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2018

@James Littlefair, for sure the way to go is to use the "hidden from portal" group but as you said it was post 3.1.9 (actually added in 3.2). Looks like its time to upgrade.

Hi Jack,

Exactly my thoughts!

Unfortunately an upgrade is not possible in the time span I have to do this.

Many thanks,

James

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events