Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to setup tasks

John Creighton January 24, 2018

I want to setup a task i.e. Setup a new server.Under that task, i want to make sure certain jobs get completed like install AV, install Windows updates, set admin password.

How is this best handled in Service desk?

1 answer

0 votes
Victor Florin Pana January 27, 2018

You can add Sub-Tasks for those actions and prevent the task from being closed unless all sub-tasks are closed: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/preventing-issues-from-being-closed-while-their-sub-task-are-still-open-724928276.html

John Creighton January 28, 2018

Thanks for your reply, i will look into the link. Much appreciated

John Creighton January 29, 2018

Victor,

I cannot see a way to link the sub-tasks to the service request. I have setup the service request for the new saervers and the sub tasks but need a way to link them. I have setup your workflow as the link suggests.

Thanks

John

Victor Florin Pana January 29, 2018

Hello @John Creighton,

How have you created sub-tasks if they are not linked to normal issue request?

To create it directlry linked to the service request, you just have to go to the normal jira view and open the issue, then click on more and press the create sub-task button. This will create a sub-task for the mentioned service request which is by default associated with it.

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 23.44.12.png

Hope this helps.

Victor

John Creighton January 29, 2018

I created the sub task under issues | Sub-tasks. The service request i am creating is a template for all service requests to setup new servers, so the service request is not in a queue at the moment.

image.png

Victor Florin Pana January 29, 2018

Ok, in the "Issues" --> "Issue types"  section you basically define what issue types you will have in your JIRA instance. After you define a new issue type, then you need to add that issue type to an issue type scheme and associate the issue type scheme with a project. 

So in your case, assuming that you have defined your Sub-Task issue type (in case it wasn't already there), you should go to your projects settings, from there go to Issue types, press Edit and drag & drop that issue type from the available ones into the Issue types for current scheme section.

After you have done this, then you can create sub-tasks as per my initial post.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events