Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice to call external (local) scripts from JIRA events like status changes

Casey Pharr August 6, 2020

First I would like to say thanks up front and ahead of this. (Quick background) We were using Spiceworks as our help desk and Inventory system prior to switching to JIRA. I am completely new to JIRA at the moment so doing much reading. I use to attach certain processes inside SpiceWorks to some Google bots and API's i made to handle some help desk automation task. 

My question is, what is now the best add-on or route to start researching for tasks such as if a help desk technician, sets a issue into a certain status (lets say disable (ERPNAME) user account, I would like then to have a BAT or script called that will run our stored procedures to handle this task in our ERP local SQL server. 

1. Can i do this all within JIRA itsef or do I need a add-on

2. Is there a general example of using a trigger to call a local custom BAT (c#, python,perl, etc) script to handle a task outside of JIRA?

Is this beyond what the purpose and case usage of JIRA's scripting capabilities? Currently I have obtained the ScriptRunner add on and have been reading on it. Any guidance or directional help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2020

Hey there Casey,

sets a issue into a certain status (lets say disable (ERPNAME) user account, I would like then to have a BAT or script called that will run our stored procedures to handle this task in our ERP local SQL server. 

What deployment are you on / thinking about using?

If you're running on Cloud there's no access to any local file system that you can store / run a batch script. The only possibilities here to expose that batch screen over the internet and make it accessible with some sort of secret token, but they're still security questions there no doubt

If you're on server you might be able to use the ScriptRunner add-on to run local files, but you'll need to contact one of the Adaptavist folks to check that out

Cheers,

Mark C

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events