Backup files now have different permission rights

Rob B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2017

Since we have upgraded Jira Service Desk our backup zip files have now changed.

Old rights: rw-rw-r--

New rights: rw-r-----

Can we changed the way the backups are configured so they go back to the old rights?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Hi Robert,

I am not aware of any recent updates to Jira or Service Desk that would have changed the permissions of these files as they sit in the $JIRAHOME/export/ folder or elsewhere.  

However technically both sets of permissions you listed are slightly off versus what permissions I would have expected for those files.  I would recommend checking our our KB on How to fix Jira directory Permissions in Linux for details of how we expect both Jira directories to be permissioned.   From that guide you can see that there are sample commands of:

sudo chown -R jira:jira /path/to/jirahome
sudo chown -R jira:jira /path/to/jirainstall

chmod -R u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx /path/to/jirahome
chmod -R u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx /path/to/jirainstall

this in turn should effectively set the permissions of those files to rwxr-xr-x   The write permissions only needs to exist for the Jira user that starts the Jira process to create that file. 

However if for some reason you want to grant the write permission to other group members, you should be able to do so as well.  It's just that Jira does not necessarily need to grant that permission for these files to be created successfully.

Regards,
Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events