Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation help needed (when this happens trigger)

Jennifer Gardner July 25, 2018

Hi,

I'm new to Automation so I'm looking for some help.

The workflow I am using means that when a new incident comes into the service desk it has a status of 'new'. What I want to happen, is that when the incident is assigned I want it to automatically transition to 'In Progress'. I think I have the rule correct apart from the initial 'when this happens' part of the rule. I'm struggling because I'm restricted to what I can use. I've tried simply using 'issue created' but it failed and I understand why.

Please help!

New to In Progress failed.pngNew to In Progress.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Colin Helke
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2018

One way you could avoid having to transition the issue and assign the issue, is to have the issue assign to whoever transitions it. You can use the "Assign to Current User" post function on this page Advance Workflow Configuration. So now you just have to click "In Progress" and the issue is assigned to you.

Jennifer Gardner August 3, 2018

Thank you, I will give this a go :-)

It worked a treat! Thank you very much.

0 votes
Jennifer Gardner July 26, 2018

Hi,

Apologies in the delayed response.

I've tried this again by creating a new incident and I get the same result.

1.png2.png3.png

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2018

Why do you have 2 screenshots, one with assignee and one without it? How did the assignee get populated in the second screenshot? Probably that is why the rule is not executed?

I populated it manually. So when an incident is assigned I want the status to automatically change to 'In Progress' from 'New'. Thanks.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2018

Your automation rule is triggered only when the assignee is not empty when the issue is created. Try populating the assignee on the create screen itself and see if that makes a difference.

Ok, thanks. So how do I go about creating an automation rule to achieve what I need? When the incident comes into the Service Desk it has the status of 'New'. When it is assigned to an agent I want the status to automatically transition to 'In Progress'.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2018

I am afraid you can't do this automation tool as it doesn't support an "Issue Assigned" event. You might want to look at other plugins like Scriptrunner or JIRA Toolkit to do it.

See this discussion: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-change-issues-status-on-assign/qaq-p/421418

Sorry in the delay. Thank you for your response.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2018

"Issue Created" should work fine. Do you have any workflow conditions or validators that is stopping the transition? O any error in the logs?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2018

You might also want to try the "Entered Status - New" option.

Hi Jobin Kuruvilla,

Thank you for your reply.

Below is a copy of my workflow. Apologies, but I'm not sure where I need to look for the workflow logs.

I can manually set the transition to 'In Progress' from 'New'.

Workflow.pngI will give your suggestion a go i.e. "Entered Status - New" option.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2018

You can click on the "In Progress" transition and see if it has workflow conditions or validators under it that will prevent the transition up on creation.

The logs I was referring to can be found in atlassian-jira.log file under JIRA_Home/log folder.

Create issue validators.pngCreate issues post functions.pngIn Progress post functions.png

Found the logs :-) can't see anything that mentions any errors.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2018

Cool. Reviewing your screenshot again, it looks like the issue AS-7 didn't match the query you have. Can you check why? Maybe it has a different status or it already had an assignee by default?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events