Automation: Populating Original Estimate fields post issue creation

Rod McWilliams May 23, 2018

Hello,

I have a situation where I need to auto-populate the Original Estimate field with 0:15m instead of the standard 0:00m with after the issue is created.

When I have attempted to create this automation rule:

When -> Issue Created

Then -> Edit Issue

Field -> there is no option to choose the Original Estimate field as it does not appear in the list of available options.

Is there a reason why certain fields like Reporter are unavailable from the dropdown?

Is there another process I could try to accomplish this use case?

Rod McWilliams

2 answers

0 votes
Amanda McGivern November 28, 2019

I had a similar issue when trying to use the automation rules.

My solution was to modify the workflow instead. I ended up adding a post function to the 'Issue Created' transition that set the Original Estimate field to 2h. You just have to make sure that any field updates come before the 'Creates issue Originally' step otherwise they won't be committed to the DB. See the Jira documentation here.

0 votes
Ramaiah Pendli May 23, 2018

Hi Rod,

Add the Time Tracking field in the appropriate screen like edit screen, it will have the Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate   

Rod McWilliams May 24, 2018

Hi @Ramaiah Pendli,

Thanks for the reply.

That's the confusing part to me.

I have the Time Tracking fields in all three screens (create, edit, view). We use Time Tracking across the board.

When I try to choose those fields from the Field option in the Edit issue, they do not appear. All the other fields identified in the Edit Screen (except for Reporter) are available. 

Neither Time Tracking nor the individual Original Estimate or Remaining Estimate are options. I don't know why. Is there a setting somewhere else that is rendering these fields invisible in the drop down?

cheers

Like Brett Flintoff likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events