Automatic transition when job assigned

Sam Speight August 4, 2014

The initial step in our workflow is "Waiting for a technician"

When a servicedesk technician picks up a job or it is assigned to them I want a transition to occur to "picked up". Currently the tech has to pick it up/have it assigned and then manually change the workflow.

I feel like this should be easier but I have been chasing my tail a bit here and need some help!

Cheers
Sam

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2014

When you use the "Assign" button, the only thing that changes is the assignee. It's not a workflow transition, so it has no capability to do automation. Depending on who is doing the assigning currently, you may be able to remove "Assign Issue" permission from a group of users and make the "Assign" button go away. Then, you can do all of your assignment in the workflow. Probably the easiest way to determine who the assignee is would be to remove the "Assignee" field from all screens used in the project and create a custom field called "Technician" or something similar. Set things up so that you present a screen with the Technician field on it when you want assignment to occur and have the workflow post-function copy that field value to the Assignee field. If the workflow does the assigning, the user doesn't need "Assign Issue" permissions. Hopefully that helps point you in the right direction. This stuff can be complicated, since there isn't always a direct way to get to your end goal.

Sam Speight August 10, 2014

Thanks mate, I thought it might have been something like that. Yes that points me in the right direction thanks!

1 vote
glennrees July 17, 2019

Use the 'Fast-track transition an issue' script listener with the Scriptrunner app. Pretty easy to set up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events