Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto refresh on dashboards

Mateusz Zimny October 10, 2017

Hi,
i have a question about auto refresh result on filter in dashboards. Can i set action on auto refresh often/more then 15 minutes. See this function on screen,

JSD-AUTORefresh.PNG

2 answers

3 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2017

Hi! 

Not in the standard UI, you'll need to do some coding.

You've got two problems to code around.

First, the UI doesn't let you go below 15 minutes. This is an arbitrary value, I'm guessing it was chosen by Atlassian to balance the refresh convenience against the possibility of having large numbers of users having dashboards. Drawing a dashboard can be very resource intensive as they can have lots of filters on them, and lots of users can be using them, so you don't want them running at a high frequency. You'll need to dive into the core code to change that value.

Now, bearing in mind I just mentioned the load imposed by dashboard...

Second, dashboards don't work on actions. They work by running their queries when they are visited or refreshed, either by the user or by the auto-refresh. If you want them to refresh on the terms you've specified, you're going to need to write a lot of code to catch any events that should cause a refresh, and somehow feed that to all the dashboards so that they can redraw themselves. That's potentially a lot of code, imposing a heavy load as it runs.

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

I second the warning on the performance hit. I have disabled all auto refreshing for my dashboards.

Markos Stefanou January 10, 2018

Is there a way to disable auto refreshing of dashboards for all of our users? I

Like zhebin_zheng likes this
Adam Sterrie April 26, 2021

Probably not relevant for you since you asked over 3 years ago but maybe for someone else. This page shows how to do it

Modifying Gadgets refresh interval | Jira | Atlassian Documentation

0 votes
Mateusz Zimny October 12, 2017

OK. Thanks a lot for your answer. I wanted to create a slide dashboard with few critical information for us to presentation it on TV wall.
I think that i not resolve my problem in that way.

Thank you guys:) 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2017

Certainly using auto-refresh is for a Wallboard instance of a dashboard is warranted but you are limited to the 15m interval.

Like Aron Strandberg likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events