Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto File Upload in Structure for Jira

Damir Suljkic October 10, 2017

Hello everyone!

This question is maybe unrelated to Jira itself, but maybe someone had experiences.
I am going to make a small Jira Project, with a structure, where my class will upload their homework for me to correct.
What I would like to do is to make a sort of "HotFolder" where it is only neccessary for the students to save the .docx or .pdf and from there it will be automatically uploaded.

For that I could probably use a Script, but I'm unsure what kind, and how to make it work for/with Jira.

I'm sure this might not be the perfect place ot ask, but I'm grateful for any kind fo answer!

Cheers

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2017

Why not just attach the files to a Jira issue? You could create a Jira issue for the assignment and students could attach. This could be done via email too.

Out of technical and administrative reasons, not all students can/may use Jira on their PCs, so it has to go via a Windows Network Folder where they just save their document, so it automatically gets uploaded to the specific spot on the Jira structure.

I also wanted to share this idea with other teachers, so to make the teachers use Jira, and the students a hotfolder for to save their files.

But Maybe working on the Jira approach for everyone would be a wiser solution, making it a drag&drop solution.

FYI we are talking upper year elementary school here. Even though I find Jira easier, it's not (yet) in the curiculum.

Thanks for the response tho!

And the Projects will be attached to the Issue/Folder in the Structure Anyway.
My question was rather oriented to the automation of the upload to the issue attachment..

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2017

That is what i thought and why I suggested having students use email. I assume they can use that. If they have the Jira issue in the subject and their homework attached it will be added to the existing ticket. Another approach and I would strongly suggest you consider is Jira Service Desk rather than Jira. In this way teachers are agents and students are customers. They can use email or the associated portal.

Well it sounds easy enough. Do you know I can read more about this e-mail to issue process?
or in other words, what should my students put as ther the destination adress when sending their attachment to the specific assignment?

My Idea was to create a folder hierarchy sorted by the starting letter of the project.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2017

You can read all about JSD here and email processing specifically here. Note this is for cloud but there is similar docs for server if that is the direction you go.

Basically, you will have a dedicated email per project, e.g. homework@myschool.edu or whatever. I would probably create one project for the school or maybe grade and then use Components for specific teacher-subject. Each participating teacher would be an agent and would have their own Queue to watch/manage. Lots to talk about here that I don't have immediate time for but if you read up on the doc you should quickly get the feel. I would suggest setting up a trial in cloud and playing with it, quick and free.

0 votes
Damir Suljkic October 24, 2017

Hi!

My students now all use JIRA, but the Switch to JSD won't happen in a while.
Now, for the projects I need to do I would like to give each student the opportunity to upload their docs and pdfs to the issues they are working on.
The drag&drop function does not always work, and since they have ot save their data to folders AS WELL I maybe thought of making one folder.

Since the structure of the issues is similar to the Windows Explorer View, I would like to know if there some way (over a shell script or otherwise) to make a folder on the Windows System that will auto upload an attachment to a specific issue?

As I mentioned before, like a hotfolder, so put docs in one windows folder, and get them auto uploaded to the Jira Issue.

E-Mail is also not an option at the moment.

The Hotfolder is priority. Any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2017

That won't work.  You need to attach the issues via the API, which means going through the UI, REST or email.

The structure of issues is in no way related to the Windows Explorer view.The best you can do is have some file store somewhere that is monitored by a process that can scan it for new files, work out where files should go, and post them over a REST call, or send an email with them as an attachment.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events