Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AuthenticationFailedException: AUTHENTICATE failed

Adam Hudson December 18, 2014

I'm evaluating JIRA Service Desk and I cannot get my exchange server connected in as the incoming mail source. When I enter the information for my server and test it I get the error: "AuthenticationFailedException: AUTHENTICATE failed."

I searched the knowledge base and found this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Authenticate+Failed+Error+when+Connecting+to+Exchange

I then added -Dmail.imap.auth.plain.disable=true and -Dmail.imaps.auth.plain.disable=true to the setenv.sh file in the JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS section. Then restarted the JIRA service. This did not work, same error message.

I turned on email debugging by adding the -Dmail.debug into the same section and file referenced above. (The setenv.sh file I'm working on is located in /opt/atlassian/jira/bin by the way). Then I tried to test again and got the same error message.

After combing through the logs I pulled this line out: 

http-bio-8080-exec-11 ERROR <username> 911x91x1 1u33boo <my ip address> /secure/admin/VerifyPopServerConnection!update.jspa [plugins.mail.webwork.VerifyMailServer] Unable to connect to the server at <email server name> due to the following exception: javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: AUTHENTICATE failed.

I'm combing through the knowledge base and forums and cannot find anything relevant. My JIRA server is linux, my exchange is 2007 and I'm trying to connect via IMAP. 

I've tried different user names, that doesn't change the error. I've tried referencing the email server by ip address and by DNS name, that doesn't change the error. My server can ping the email server. The username I'm using has full admin rights on the mail server.

Any help is appreciated as I'd really like to try this software out.

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2014

The article you link indicates that Exchange has been configured to deny plain auth.  You can't fix that with and configuration of JIRA, its an exchange setting, perhaps this helps:

0 votes
Adam Hudson December 18, 2014

After searching my server I find only one setenv.sh file. Also the log file I'm looking at is catalina.out inside /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events