Attachments added in Jira are not visible in the customer portal

Stuart Etchells February 25, 2014

We're currently setting up and testing Service Desk and have noticed some unexpected behaviour with regards to file attachments.

If an issue is created using the customer portal, and a file is attached, this file is visible on both the portal as well as within Jira.

However, if a file is attached to the issue in Jira, this file is not available on the issue in the portal.

Are there any permissions that control how attachments are viewed for the portal? I had assumed that, as the portal user could add attachments, they would also be able to view them if added in Jira.

10 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Stuart Etchells March 10, 2014

*Edit 2* Looks like the "no permission" problem has been fixed in Service Desk v2. Any attachments added to the call by our service desk agents (assuming they're embedded as below) can be viewed successfully in the Portal.

---------------------------

*Edit* Hmm looks like this may not work as well as I hoped. Tested this again with a "real" Portal user but they're receiving a notification that they cannot view the attachment.

Any attachments they upload via the Portal can be opened sucessfully by the same user in the Portal, but files uploaded via Jira cannot be opened from the Portal.

---------------------------

Possible solution found!

When attaching a file from within Jira you can force this to be shown in the Portal by embedding the file into a comment.

You can do this by entering the following into the comment:

[^filename.txt]

2 votes
Robert Liu _CA_ November 12, 2015

This is still not fixed as of today.  Customers can't see attachments.  This is a critical issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.  Is there any reason why customers can't see attachments they uploaded themselves?

2 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2014

Hey guys, I did some digging, and found this request here - JSD-43. Seems like it's not solved yet though, for now, I would recommend that you do the following on the feature request ticket :

• Vote, so that it will receive more attention
  • Watch it, so that you will receive any and all updates
  • Comment, and give your opinion on the matter

Please note that the implementation of new features and improvement requests falls under Atlassian's Implementation of New Features Policy.

0 votes
Huber_Souza June 22, 2015

I would argue that attaching a screen shot to the customer request is a primary functionality of a service desk system.  All other systems I have worked with, such as Zendesk etc..., allow for this very easily.  Its interesting that this had to come up as a request to begin with.  

0 votes
Bruce Reed June 12, 2015

Still no fix for this crucial service desk function. Markup is a workaround, not a solution. Is this that difficult a problem to address where after two major revisions of the Service Desk product you cannot figure out how to solve it?

0 votes
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2015

Take a look at this feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-610 

Hope this helps! 

0 votes
Shelly Verma December 2, 2014

Hi 

I have addedmy comment in JSD-43 but solution offered does not help when we have to uplaod User Guides of more then 10 pages with screen shots in it . 

Would appreciate if we can get this fixed . 

Thanks Shelly 

0 votes
IshanL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2014

You have to enable wiki style rendering in comments field in relavant field configuration and embed attachment to the comment.

e.g

!test.jpg!

or

[^test.xlsx]

0 votes
Mark Love
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2014

This doesn't sound like much of a solution! It doesn't make sense as to why attachments aren't visible via the portal - has this been raised with Atlassian?

0 votes
Mark Love
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

This doesn't sound like much of a solution! It doesn't make sense as to why attachments aren't visible via the portal - has this been raised with Atlassian?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events