Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding team members to Service Desk

Fernando December 19, 2019

In order to keep my Service Desk Agents license in control, need your help understanding what is the difference between the steps followed to add a member to the team here:

Service Desk Project -> Invite Team -> Add user name

Versus just adding a person via:

Service Desk Project -> Project Settings -> People -> Add People (Choosing "Service Desk Team" role).

I want to have the Jira Software users be able to collaborate within the Service Desk tickets (which should be at no cost since they are Jira SW licensed already), but it is really confusing how the role for users needs to be set up for this to happen versus the setup for actual licenses Service Desk agents. 

Note: I've gone through your documentation and is still not clear, that is why I am asking here. 

Docs consulted:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/add-an-agent-to-your-service-desk-project/

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-service-desk-evaluator-resources/jira-service-desk-agents-customers-and-roles

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2019

Service Desk Project -> Invite Team -> Add user name ==> Creates a Agent

Service Desk Project -> Project Settings -> People -> Add People (Choosing "Service Desk Team" role) ==> Just adds a user to a role so that they would inherit the permissions/notifications, etc where the role is specified. The user doesn't become an Agent simply by adding them to the role.

Collaborators:

You can use the Service Desk Team role for this purpose if you wish or you could use a group or another role. Your choice. Add the role/group to the desired permissions/notifications, e.g. Browse, Comment, etc....

Thanks, this clarifies for me. 

daryl.autar December 9, 2021

Thanks! I added a team member only via the second way to an ITSM project and ran into the problem that the user could create a ticket, but not edit it. Adding the same team member via the first way as well solved this indeed.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2019

Hello @Fernando 

I would recommend this link. Basically it works if your team member got application access to Jira Service Desk it will require a license. However, if you have people that have application access to Jira Software you can add them to a Jira Service Desk issue with the request participant feature and they are allowed to see the issue but not work with it. That means that they cannot communicate with the customer and not do anything that an agent can do.

To summarize, if you invite a user, make sure they are in the correct groups that has application access to the right application. E.g. put Jira Software users in the groups that has application access to Jira Software and Jira Service Desk users in the groups that has application access to Jira Service Desk. The Jira Software users that collaborates on an issue does not consume a Jira Service Desk license.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2019

slight correction...

JSW users should be added as Watchers not Request Participants, which is the 'sharing' field specifically intended for Customers.

Thanks! this is a good complement to Jack's answer above.

Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2019

Thanks for the correction @jack_a

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events