Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding participants when creating tickets by email

Stan December 20, 2019

Can someone tell me if this is a new or known issue with Jira Service Desk?

I'm trying to have tickets opened in JSD, with the CC'ed persons added to the ticket as participants.  When emailing the default project email directly there are no issues. However when using a distribution list, the CC'ed persons get dropped.  Using Jira cloud. 

Scenario

to :my_distro@mycompany.com (default project email is in this list)

cc: user1, user2

Desired result:

Ticket created - Sender is the reporter

participants added : user1, user2

Actual Observed results:

participants added  - none

When emailing the default project email directly, everything works as documented.

to :default_project_email@mycompany.atlassian.net

cc: user1, user2

Results

participants added : user1, user2

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2020

Hi Stan,

I understand that you're using Jira Service Desk Cloud, but that sometimes when you CC the email address that being monitored by Service Desk, some users are not being added as requested participants to the newly created request. 

I believe this scenario you described can be explained in the knowledge base (KB) article Replies to Jira Service Desk tickets result in duplicate tickets.  Even though you have not reported having duplicate tickets, the diagnosis steps in that KB do seem to include this case, specifically:

• The Jira Service Desk email handler is Cc'd in a mail thread, along with other Service Desk customers.

• Members of the mail thread are not "request participants" of the original request.

This KB indicates the cause is that the sender of the message does not have permissions to share a request.  When that happens, it's not possible to have Jira Service Desk add those other email addresses are requested participants.  But it does explain how you can adjust the project settings in order to avoid this problem, from the KB:

Resolution

In Jira Service Desk, only the issue reporter, the request participants and members of the organization which the ticket is shared with, are the customers who can comment on the ticket. That said, make sure that customers have permissions to add other people to the request.

• Go to Service Desk Project > Project settings > Customer permissions (or Service Desk Project > Project settings Channels > Customer permissions if it's a Next-gen project)

• Set the permission Who can customers share requests with? to Any customer by typing or Any customer by searching.

By changing the above, anyone who is CC'd in the original email will be added as a Request participant of the ticket, receiving the permission to have their responses processed as comments of the request.

I hope this helps.

Andy

stanley.aung January 7, 2020

Hi Andy, 

Thank you for your reply.  I have not found that the permissions of the reporter or the project permission to be a factor. The issue I'm seeing is only occurring specifically when the jira project email, is nested in distribution list. If an email is sent directly to the project email, all other people in to/cc/bcc are added as participants automatically 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for explaining that detail.  When I read the original post, it wasn't clear to me that the support email address was being contained within a distribution list.  My understanding is that a distribution list was being referenced in the email that was sent to the support email address to Jira Service Desk.

Jira Service Desk Cloud is not expecting to be able to handle the scenario you have described here, where the support email address is included within a distro list.  There is an open feature request for this in JSDCLOUD-5625 - Ability to Allow Support Email Address To Be Included in Distribution List.  Although that suggestion ticket does have some workaround that might help here.  From that page:

Workaround

1. Make sure those users are only replying to the notification of the ticket created via email address which leads to the jira notification mail handler and not the email that they are cc'ed into.
  2. Make sure the users do not reply to each other via the cc'ed email, this will create a long thread of replies which will be continuously created as new issues into the instance. If the user wants to comment on the issue, all of them will have to only reply to the ticket created by email as that is the only email with a issue-key which then directs all the comments and reply to one issue only instead of creating multiple issues.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events