Accessing the customer portal when using service desk

Deleted user November 4, 2013

Hi

We're trialling the Service Desk and trying to understand how a user would know to access a customer portal rather than the standard JIRA interface.

Looking at the default configuration, if a user navigates to JIRA (e.g. https://jira.example.com) they are presented with the standard "System Dashboard". To get to the Customer Portal, they need to then

• Select All Service Desks from the Service Desk menu in the header
  • Click the link to the Service Desk they wish to use
  • Click Customer Portal tab
  • Click View the Customer Portal

This seems to be rather long winded.

The alternative scenario I can see is that the customers are given a link directly to the customer portal e.g. https://jira.example.com/servicedesk/customer/spt

Is there a better way of helping customers (i.e. non-developer and non-administrative users) getting access to the Customer Portal?

Thanks

4 answers

1 vote
Aldo Cauchi Savona July 23, 2014

Sorry to re-open this issue. We are using Service Desk 1.2.1 (latest) now and set up the permissions so a user is only able to see the service desk. However if a user lands on the default jira login page, on login the user is still taken to the system dashboard (showing nothgin due to permissions).

Did I miss something in the configuration or security? Also, under the profile tab, there is an option to set Service Desk as the defalt screen after login. However, this takes the user to the agent screen and the no permissions warning is show on the screen. Is there a way of allowing the user to go straight to the service desk after login?

thanks.

0 votes
Mats Wikholm January 29, 2014

I set it up with the "pound" proxy in front and redirect from support.ex.co to jira.ex.co/servicedesk/customer/desk. Ideal would be to keep support.ex.co as the URL but I haven't been able to do that with pound. I'm guessing though, that jira wouldn't like being called with the wrong hostname.

I already use pound to redirect jira, confluence and crowd that are all run from the same server on different ports.

0 votes
gdavidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

There is a slightly simpler flow for accessing a customer portal:

1. Select Create Service Desk Request in the Service Desk menu in the header.
  2. Click the link to the customer portal they wish to use.

Additionally, once a user has raised a request through a customer portal, that request form is added to the user's Recent requests list, which can be accessed from the dropdown attached to the main Create issue button.

Andrey Larionov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2014

This link only available for Service Desk Administrator or Service Desk Team. At least in version 1.2.1

0 votes
ɹǝʞɐq pɐɹq
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2013

The Service Desk teams knows that the discovery of "customer portals" is problematic and we are currently working on ways to give a much more directed experience for customers. The end goal would be that people would get a much more Service Desk customer portal oriented experience. But we are not there yet.

In the mean time your best bet is to give out direct links to the specific service desk links.

At Atlassian we have about 11 internal service desk instances that people use day to day and we use a combination of "short url redirect services" eg go/atlasdesk go/kudos go/payroll go/legal* and a Intranet Confluence page that list all the service desks out there for our different teams.

Brad Baker

JIRA Service Desk Architect

* go/legal is my current favourite Service Desk usage in Atlassian. We now route requests to our fledgling legal department though Service Desk and JIRA :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events