Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API Auth suddenly stopped working

José Manuel Donoso July 31, 2017

Until friday I could get info about my open issues through the REST API with:

curl -D- -u user:pwd -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" --data '{"jql":JQL-QUERY}' https://URL.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/search

But now with the exact same api request i get the following error:

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

What could happened?

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2017

Try this:

1. Turn off anything you use to perform API requests
  2. Update your password manually via id.atlassian.com
  3. Update your API tools with the new password
  4. Turn them back on.

I was having the same issue because the API tools would hammer the API and cause a captcha lockout which is not visible via any API request. Logging in via ID will work fine because it bypasses JIRA's internal captcha requirement, so you will never be made aware of it.

José Manuel Donoso July 31, 2017

Thanks! I change the password and now it is working again but will i have to change the password everytime this issue appear?

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2017

This will happen whenever you need to change the password and the automated services continue to hammer the API with the old password resulting in a lockout.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events