"Couldn't send request"/"Incorrect request type" error message on service desk portal

Omarz April 8, 2019

Hi Community,

I am new to Jira and I wish that I can find help here.

I have a service desk project and when I create an issue form the portal I get "Couldn't send request"/"Incorrect request type" error message. However, the issue is actually created successfully on Jira Application and can be seen in portal if I click Requests/Created by me.

Note, I didn't use to get this error before. I successfully created so many issues from portal. This happened all of a sudden.

Thanks in advanced

1 comment

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2019

Hi @Omarz 

Can you go to project settings, request types page and ensure you have an issue type mapped to your request type.

This is the most common reason you get the error you described.

Select the same request type that gave you the error.

Omarz April 8, 2019

Hi @Ismael Jimoh,

I did that. In fact, the request is not going to appear on portal if it’s not mapped in the project setting/request types.

Thanks 

Steven Bortels April 30, 2019

Hello Ismael,

I have a similar issue, so I thought I post this here as well. My apologies if this is not appreciated. 

I receive the following error message when trying to created a 'Service Request' ticket:

Service Request error message.PNG

When navigating to Project > Project Settings > Request types, I have the following:

Request type:                                                Issue type:

General Support - Service Request               Service Request

I have created a question for this on Atlassian Community:

Why inability to create a Service Request ticket and a Remedial Maintenance ticket?

It relates to my previous question on Atlassian Community:

When I (Admin) create a Jira ticket for client (specific project), client can't see the content

What could be the reason for this?

Please give feedback on my question 'Why inability to create a Service Request ticket and a Remedial Maintenance ticket?'

This is urgent for our clients.

Thank you in advance!

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2019

Hi @Steven Bortels 

It is okay and I do not mind having both answered here if they are related.

Allow me to answer scenario:

When I (Admin) create a Jira ticket for client (specific project), client can't see the content

Well for this, can you confirm if you are pressing Create in JIRA and directly creating the ticket? If yes, you have 2 options to fix the problem:

Automation:

This allows you to create issues as usual from the JIRA UI and should automatically set a customer request type which is needed for issues to appear in the customer portal.

1. Create a new custom Automation rule.
  2. If: Issue Created.
  3. When: Issue Matches -> "Customer Request Type" is Empty.
  4. Then: Edit Request Type -> <Select the Request type to be set>
    Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 11.58.01.png

Create issue from Portal

An alternative to the above is to create a ticket for the client from the customer portal as follows:

1. Click Raise a request in the left hand menu.
  2. Slect the request type.
  3. In the first field - Raise this request on behalf of(assuming you did not change it), add the name of the client in here.
  4. Type the information and save.

Either of these steps would solve the problem with customers not seeing your request when you create it for them.

I will need some time to look at the second problem.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2019

I receive the following error message when trying to created a 'Service Request' ticket:

Can you get me a screenshot of your Request type field configuration?

It is possible that you have a field that is required and unique to JIRA Service Desk that is not appearing on the standard JIRA view or even it could be required but is not present in the customer portal.

Add a screenshot of this and a screenshot of your create screen.

Thanks.

Steven Bortels April 30, 2019

Hi Ismael,

Thank you for your feedback!

Screenshot of Request types:

Reques types AGR.PNG

Screenshot of Request type 'General Support - Service Request' with 'Service Request' as Issue type:

Service Request AGR.PNG

Screenshot of Request type 'Managed Services' with 'Service Request' as Issue type:

Managed Services AGR.PNG

I hope you mean these screenshots.

Thank you for looking into this!

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2019

Hi @Steven Bortels ,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I meant those screenshots.

From the first screen, I see the component, summary and description fields are required when raising the General Support request type and for the Managed Services, just the later 2 are required.

Can you confirm if these are populated each time a request is being created.

Check your workflow for validators when creating an issue and remove any that are there as this could potentially be the cause of the problem. (I mean the transition from the initial create to your first status. This is quite likely the cause if both request types share the same workflow)

Sorry once again for the delay.

Steven Bortels May 7, 2019

Hey Ismael,

No worries, thank you for your feedback!

These fields that are required are populated each time a request is created.

the validators for the Service Request workflow vs validators for the Change Request workflow:

Service Request workflow with information regarding the 'Issue Create' transition:

Transition Create Issue - Service Request - properties_validators_post functions.PNG

• Transition Properties of the transition (2):

Transition Properties - Create - Service Request.PNG

• Validators (2):

Validators - Transition Create Issue - Service Desk.PNG

• Post Functions (2):

Post Functions - Create Issue - Service Request.PNG

Change Request workflow: I will discuss this in the next comment in case this becomes to big :) 

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2019

Can you remove the Validator that is checking the impact field value?

I do not see the impact field present and would like to see what happens if this validator is removed. (Please ensure this is the Workflow mapped to the issue type associated with the request types).

After removing it, do save a copy of the original and test to see if this resolves the problem or not.

Cheers.

Steven Bortels May 7, 2019

The issue type 'Service Request' is similar to 'Change Request' (CR) as they are both considered as general support. Therefore I will give you the properties/validators/post functions of the 'Change Request' to compare:

Change Request workflow with information regarding the 'Create' transition:

Workflow Change Request - Transition Create - properties_validators_post functions.PNG

• Transition Properties CR (0)

• Validators CR (1):

Validators - Transition Create - Change Request.PNG

• Post functions (3):

Post Functions - Create - Change Request.PNG

To solve the issue of not being able to create a Service Request by our clients, can I just adapt the properties/validators/post functions so that they are the same as with a 'Change Request'? If, after adapting them, can I just 'Publish Draft'? Would this only have effect on new tickets with issue type 'Service Request'? Also after adapting the workflow, what effect would it have on the tickets if I were to publish it?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2019

Hi @Steven Bortels ,

I see the validator I suggested removing is not present in the Change request hence can you remove this for the time being.

As for making this similar to the Change request, it depends on your process. If your business process requires the validator for the impact field then do add the impact field to the fields in your Request Type configuration.

If it is not needed and there are no specific business requirements in place that the change would impact then yes you can make the adaption you asked.

Cheers.

Steven Bortels May 8, 2019

Hi @Ismael Jimoh ,

What do you mean with 'the impact field'? 

If I publish the draft regarding the transition 'Create' for issue type 'Service Request', would this only effect new 'Service Request tickets'?

Similar with the entire workflow, would it only change for new 'Service Request tickets'?

Thank you in advance for clarifying! 

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2019

Hi @Steven Bortels 

Let's take a step back as it seems to be getting a bit complex.

So what I suggested you do are as follows:

Option 1

1. Edit the workflow: JIRA Service Desk IT Support workflow generated for Project CSD. (from my understanding this is the workflow used for the issue type Service Request)
  2. In the validator, remove the validator that checks the value of the Impact field.
  3. Publish the workflow saving a copy so that if the workflow is shared with other projects then you can rollback or point these projects to the copy saved if needed.

Option 2

1. Click Edit Field for your request type in the project.
  2. Click Add field.
  3. Add the field Impact(this field is being validated based on it's presence).
  4. Save your changes.

If I publish the draft regarding the transition 'Create' for issue type 'Service Request', would this only effect new 'Service Request tickets'?

Yes it would. Published workflows affect all issues that are created after they are published provided they use the workflow.

Similar with the entire workflow, would it only change for new 'Service Request tickets'?

It would change for all issue types that use this workflow. On first glance, it seems the issue type is only used by this project and issue type in the project however as I cannot tell, you would need to verify this on your side. 

If indeed it is only used by the issue type, then it applies to only this issue type in this one project.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Steven Bortels May 10, 2019

Hi @Ismael Jimoh ,

After removing validator 'If a value for field Impact is not provided during the transition, show the following error: Select Acceptance or Production.', I was able to create a 'Service Request' ticket.

Thank you very much for all your help! 

Kind regards,

Steven

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events