What is your most creative Automation rule?

Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018

Hey all,

I'm a fan of automation; if I could automate my journey to work so that I could just wake up at my desk with a fresh cold latte, I would!

Mine is fairly simple. We have emails from the HR system that are sent to the email address connected to the IT service desk, and we needed to be able to filter those out of the general queue depending on "Leaving the Business" or "Joining the Business" but also to update a "Location" field depending on what office, and finally to notify the IT person related to the specified office.

Essentially we have:

WHEN
[issue created]
IF

[reporter is "HR email address"]
AND
 [summary includes "new employee"]
AND
 [summary includes "office location"]
THEN
 [update Customer Request Type],
 [update Location],
 [alert "preset agent"]

2 comments

Molly Bronstein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2018

Hi Aaron! We just had a talk at Summit Europe about interesting automation rules...check out the deck/video in the link below for inspiration!

https://www.atlassian.com/company/events/summit-europe/watch-sessions/2018/service-and-support/deep-dive-into-automation-scaling-jira-service-desk

Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2018

Hey @Molly Bronstein, I was at this talk! It gave me some great ideas and perspective on our own service desk, and how we can revamp our whole set-up to better triage and more quickly support our users.

This talk was incredibly valuable in allowing me to see the perspective of why it was built in as a feature by the developers who created it, and is what has motivated me to talk to my team more to find out "how can we automate smarter" :) (I'm seeing my whole team face-to-face next week, and expect to come away with some great ideas)

Joe Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2018

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for opening this discussion. I’m a big fan of Jira Automation and wish it were more robust.

Once in a while I ask Jira Service Desk to do too much and it just can’t seem to sort things out. That’s when I need to consider an automation rule. For instance I have been asked to create a parent ticket which will automatically fire a number of child tickets. I use a post function to do the main work here however the resulting child tickets can’t seem to find the correct request type and don’t transition nicely through our system. I created an automation rule to fix this.

Add Request Type to Child Ticket fired from Parent Ticket

When this happens…
Issue Created

If these match…
issuetype = "Client Portal Sub-task" AND "Customer Request Type" is EMPTY

Then do this…

Edit request type name to “Child Ticket sub-tickets”

Anyway, it works and has saved me a good deal of grief but it feels a bit rickety.

Another for instance is if a user submits a ticket through the wrong request type (or wrong portal) the ticket will often drift around in our Jira-sphere and maybe someone will find it. I’ve found “open” “unassigned” tickets without a request type recently. Not good. These seem to come about because someone (in good faith) “Moved” a ticket from one portal to another and the request type / issue type did not match.  Given the complexities of user error this one is harder to solve with automation.

But, yeah, I’m very much for more automation capabilities. There are some things – like auto assignment or redirecting lost tickets, which are still hiding in the tall grass and hard to see. Automation would be great here.  As an admin I need to make sure tickets don’t get lost, I can envision automation to help with this.  It would be great if the community had a library of automation rules.  

Thanks, Joe

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events