Real time SLA reporting in BI tools

Daniel Connolly November 7, 2017

Is anyone using a BI tool to integrate to Jira Service desk for dashboards and doing "real time" SLA reporting?  I am looking at the underlying fields (listed below) for "Time to Temp Resolution" and am trying to figure out how often they are updated / what triggers the updates.

If you have other suggestions on fields to use please let me know - I am just learning the data model.

1. Time to Temporary Resolution_ongoingCycle_breached

2. Time to Temporary Resolution_ongoingCycle_elapsedTime_friendly

3.  Time to Temporary Resolution_ongoingCycle_remainingTime_friendly

2 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

I spent some time w/ MS PowerBI and liked the capabilities. There is a free plugin if you are on cloud. I haven't used it in some time as I really didn't require the extra power. I have a hard time getting folks to look at the dashboards I have today so until there is a need...

With that said, JSD SLAs are real-time. It just depends on the views you want and if the native capabilities meet your needs.

let me try asking a different way - what fields are used to calculate "Time to temp resolution" in Jira service desk?  The fields I listed above appear to be deleted once a temp or final resolution is reached - so how do I get the historical data?

It has to be stored somewhere because it is displayed on the screen but I cannot find a field in the database with the name "Time to Temp Resolution"?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

I don't have "Time to Temp Resolution" in my instance and have never heard of it. I searched the documentation for both Server and Cloud and did not get any hits. I would have to assume that 'Temp Resolution' must be a status in your workflow to be able to produce a "time to temp resolution" value.

Sorry, likely not being much help here but a bit confused.

You are correct - Temporarily Resolved is a status in our workflow and it has a SLA driven off of it.  As I look at the other SLAs and underlying data the same fields I listed above exist for Time to First Response and Time to Final Resolution and they have the same behavior (they are deleted once the item is resolved).  So my question is where is the historical data stored to display on screen?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2017

I can't say where it is stored. Maybe someone else can answer. I'm suspicious that it may be an actual calculated field and not actually stored. What I can tell you is if you can create a filter that displays the field you desire you can export it to excel. This was an old issue associated w/ exporting SLAs to excel that has since been fixed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2017

I'm told it is a calculated field.  It's therefore stored in the index only, not the database.

Calculated from what - I am assuming it would need to take into account:

- time created

- any time included in pausing the SLA

- time put into either temp resolved status or final resolved

Seems like there would be a lot of overhead in calculating all of this every time time an issue was viewed especially if te issue was already closed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2017

The second part of my comment covers your last paragraph.

Yes, it's calculated from the issue history and the SLA rules.  I don't know how the SLA rules are stored or interpreted.

Seems like there would be a massive amount of overhead to dynamically calculate a value that would become static after the trigger was reached.  It would make much more sense to store that in a table.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2017

Could you read the second sentence in my comment?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events