Jira Service Desk | Multiple Inbound Email Aliases

Dana Grahf October 2, 2018

Hi

We are looking at implementing Jira Service Desk but are trying to figure out if we can have multiple inbound email addresses tied to a project.

Right now our customers can email our support team using various email addresses based on issue/department.  We would like for all the email addresses to point to a single project and have tickets created and properly routed based on the email address used.  Anyone know if that is possible and if so how to go about implementing?

For example

Project X

Alias Emails: benefits@abc.com and support@abc.com

Jira Service Desk parsing

benefits@abc.com - Category: Benefits - Type: Support

support@abc.com - Category: Support Type: Support

3 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2018

only if you create separate projects. each project can have its own email. So you could have Benefits, Support project. each w/ its own agents, permissions, workflows, etc.

If I remove the routing requirement and just say we want all email aliases to point to a single project is that possible?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2018

you could do this w/in your mail service by forwarding all support emails to a single email that feeds JSD. However, then you will not be able to differentiate between the request types. All will come into a single request type, e.g. "support". The portal allows users to select between request types but email does not, it is 1:1.

Colin Helke
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2018

We have this type of setup with one of our projects. The only way I got it to work was with a mail handler addon. We use JEMH. It allows us to select an issue type for each email and what project the email goes to. Hope this helps.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2018

indeed addons can handle this and JEMH is one of the popular ones.

Thanks - will check it out.

Dana Grahf October 3, 2018

@Colin Helke Thanks for the recommendation that did the trick in what we were trying to achieve.  Another question for you ... we have the tool configured and when we run the Test Case script via JEMH our tickets are created and tagged correctly.  However when we try a live inbound email test the ticket is created however the appropriate Component value is not set it is remaining null.

Did you run into that issue at all? Any recommendations?

Deleted user October 3, 2018

Hi Dana,

Reece from The Plugin People here (JEMH vendor), good to see that you are giving JEMH a try!

The problem you describe does not sound familiar, if a component value is configured in JEMH it should be set as long as that component is valid in the related project.

Can you please raise a support request with us directly: The Plugin People Support

Please attach an export of your JEMH profile and your test case to your support request, we can then double check your configuration.

Kind Regards,

Reece

Dana Grahf October 3, 2018

Will do - i can't explain the joy it brings me to get such a prompt response :)

Colin Helke
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2018

Wow they were fast. I have had great support from them. I was going to suggest to check the audit log within JEMH. You can look at how the email was processed. Maybe it has something to do with permissions. Otherwise I would open a support request.

Ana Viseu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2022

I'd like to share the suggestion for this feature which is currently under consideration:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-798

If this is important to your use case please vote and if possible add an explanation on how this can impact your production so that we can have a complete picture when considering this feature :)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events