cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing JIRA Service Desk Across Multiple Departments in an Organization

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2018

I was just wondering if anyone has implemented JIRA Service Desk in a large distributed organization. I am interested in how you collaborate across Service Desks? How you constructed your service desk portal? Do you have common SLAs? How are your permissions configured? And anything else you learned deploying the software?

1 comment

Dimitar Dimitrov April 25, 2019

Hey @Brant Schroeder I am working for VMware and we do have a somewhat large implementation of JSD. Currently we have been taking the approach of few SD projects which include multiple covered services, so that we pass tickets between service teams easily with the OOTB toolset included in a per-project configuration.

However, as we grow bigger and bigger I am also starting to question if this is a scalable approach. I am constantly thinking about having a per-service JSD project, so that we can actually segment the services and have more failure domains, delegate ownership of queues making, etc. to service owners, etc. Think of this more as a JSD-as-a-Service model.

My only concern is that in this case, tickets will need to be handed over by swithich project sometimes. And teams which cover more than one service will need to use not queues (so that they don't have to look at multiple queues in multiple projects) but use something like a cross-project dashboard, etc.

No one in Atlassian has been bold enough so far to tell me - 'this is a better approach' for any of the two:) What do you think? Or any bold ones out there, please chime in:)!

Like Mohammad Owidat likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2019

We currently have the same issue within some of our units.  They initially went with multiple service desks but over time ended up consolidating to a single service desk.  I think most of them thought it would be better to segregate issues to help organize work but after having to use dashboards and loosing key SD functionality they ended up consolidating and using things like issue security to hide sensitive issues from those that do not need to see them.  The only thing I wish is that you could provide visibility controls around queues so not everyone in the service desk would have to see all queues.

Dimitar Dimitrov May 13, 2019

@Brant Schroeder I think Devinity have an add-on called Queues for JSD, which in the new version is supposed to do that - place visibility control over queues. I am also having the same demand:) Thanks for replying to the thread. 

Dimitar

Katarzyna
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 7, 2019

Hello,

You can manage a queues visibility using our app Queues for Jira Service Desk. It's only about defining which Jira groups should have an access to the queue. You can also create cross-projects queues.

Kate

Like Dimitar Dimitrov likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events