It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do you onboard new employees using Jira Service Desk? Edited

amaresh Atlassian Team Jul 07, 2019

Hello Community 👋,

I'm a product manager on JSD. 

If you're responsible for onboarding employees, I'd like to speak to you to learn about the range of tasks that are involved in setting up new hires.

I'd love to learn what some of the major frustrations and challenges are with your current workflow.

If you're interested in talking with me, please reply to this thread and I can reach out to you to set up a 30 min phone/video call over Zoom.

Thanks!

Amaresh

6 comments

Jack Community Leader Jul 07, 2019

Hi Amaresh! I have used JSD for staffing which covers search, interviewing, offer, etc. then I have used JSW for the Onboarding actions. Happy to chat if you think it would be useful.

Like # people like this
amaresh Atlassian Team Jul 08, 2019

Hi @Jack ! That's awesome - I would love to chat with you. It doesn't look like I can send you a message here, so would you be able to send an email to amaresh.ray [at] atlassian.com with your availability? 

Is there a good beginner document for this somewhere?

amaresh Atlassian Team Jul 09, 2019

@Joseph Winkelbauer  – Could you tell us a little bit more about what you're looking to accomplish?

Hi Amaresh,

We currently receive onboard requests as 'Service Request with Approvals', most details in a PDF. We have been intending for a long time to make a custom issue type including all the PDF fields so HR can log details direct, but simply haven't got around to it. Would definitely be interested if there was a preconfigured issue type/workflow available.

We are also using Crowd to sync multiple directories and make them available to other Atlassian Products. Apologies if something like this exists directly, but it would be great to be able to write directly to e.g. Active Directory from pre-configured fields in a Service Request...

Kind Regards,
Peter

We currently use Google Forms to capture all the Information from HR and also the New Hire for on-boarding, the responses get sent directly to JSD which is the start of our onboarding workflow.

I would rather use a Form in JSD directly, however, we need the functionality of having Questions based on responses (not supported in Jira without expensive purchasing 3rd party add-ons).

Happy to chat if interested

Like Peter Hamilton-Harding likes this
amaresh Atlassian Team Jul 17, 2019

@Ben Hart  I'd love to chat to you to better understand your workflow and your needs :) 

Would you mind sending an email to amaresh.ray [at] atlassian.com with your availability? 

I am actively working on this now...my company used to use a PDF attached to tickets. So i converted that into a ticket type with custom fields for each of the required pieces of information. 

We then built out Department specific Employee change forms in the customer portal which exposes fields that are needed for each department...allowing the SD to have 1 single ticket type for ALL change requests. 

We then used the Jira Issue collector to embed the forms into the companies Sharepoint Intranet so end users wouldnt have to log into Jira. 

@Shawn Masters who fills out the ticket? Is it typically the hiring manager for each department? What does the workflow look like once the ticket is submitted to the new hire starting? 

Correct, a manager from each department fills out the tickets. 

Workflow:

1. Validate ticket info
  2. Create AD / base accounts
  3. Transition the ticket to the next Status; based on on fields used in the ticket linked issues are created to handle things like accesses to development environments, hardware deployed to the desk,  etc
  4. The ticket waits for the linked issues to be Done then transitions to a review stage for Tier 1.
  5. Once Reviewed Tier 1 moves the user to "Active User" in the workflow. 

Any new requests that come in are linked to this master ticket so we can track all permissions, hardware, etc (we are required to maintain auditable records)

When an Off roll is received for that user; the workflow has another tree that goes through the process of revoking access and cleaning up data/hardware.

One of the things we really would like to see introduced are Dynamic fields..so that we dont have to maintain 10 different forms in the customer portal. We have seen some 3rd party tools for it but have not been able to get approval for them because our management feels Atlassian should provide such a useful feature as part of the product. 

Hey Amaresh,

My team is working on creating a new user addition system. One of the things we've haven't made a decision yet on is whether for onboarding to be its own project or not. We have projects for internal development team and external support, and don't super want to create any more projects than necessary. I couldn't speak to how it would work exactly, but seems like since onboarding is pretty foundational to most teams it could have its own 'space' in jira that isn't necessarily a silo'd project.

Anyways, some of the major steps:

1. Setup laptop, any other hardware for users
  2. Key card access to the building
  3. Setup Desk Phone
  4. Setup Email
  5. Assign to Email Distribution Lists
  6. Setup VPN Credentials
  7. Set up Active Directory
  8. Grant access to the 3rd party tools each team use's(this usually takes a while as we forget which all tools we use sometimes)
  9. Adding them to the weekly meetings their team(s) have in the calendar
  10. We don't have a huge HR team here, but triggering esignature for documents could be a useful tool? I dunno if there are plug in's out there for that right now

Thats all I can think of atm

@Mark Hostetler What projects do IT requests come into? It might be worth re-using that project? 

What all other tools do you interact with as part of going through all these steps? I'm thinking AD, Office365, perhaps there are others? If you had a magic wand, which of these steps would you like to automate? 

We just went live with Jira Service Desk less than 2 weeks ago, so on-boarding employees into JSD is fresh on my mind because we just did it for 150+ staff people!

@amaresh, I'd be happy to talk through what we've done to be successful as well as some of our pain points via Zoom. Just let me know if this would be helpful.

Like Matthew Gaffney likes this

Hi @Todd Thomas -- this would be super helpful! I was looking to understand the different things involved in onboarding new employees in general and where JSD fits into that workflow - but I would also love to learn how you onboarded your staff onto JSD. Would you be able to send an email to amaresh.ray [at] atlassian.com with your availability? 

Comment

Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Desk

[ Survey ] What does the future of ITSM look like? Take our survey today!

Hi all! We’re interested in learning more about your ITSM practices - what’s the current state of your ITSM practices? What are your aspirations for your IT team in the future? Which ITSM trends ar...

231 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you