Fill out forms in Service desk portal

Simon Carlstedt January 20, 2018

Hi everyone.
My company supports small businesses with their IT environments. Right now we offer support through phone and email, we have not used the portal feature yet for various reasons.
Today when someone orders a email account for a new employee they fill out a Word template that I've made and send it to us via email, this is not very professional but it works.

I want to give managers access to the portal so they can fill out the form there instead. I am just wondering how to practically configure this form in Jira. Some examples of fields we would need to fill out is:
Name, location, phone number, Distribution lists, Role, start date, Office365 license, access to network shares.
It would be nice if these fields were fillable and all ended up in the description of an issue instead of a bunch of custom fields. Is it possible to somehow link several fields to the description?
How would you go about to solve this problem?

4 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2018

I would train people to understand that separate distinct dedicated fields are better than embedding specific data in a block of text.  They are far easier to search through, easier to control, and quicker to enter than an essay.

"Location" for example - in a block of text, you let them make spelling mistakes and invent locations that are not valid, and your search is useless because of it.  You can't usefully ask "show me people in location X".

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

Hi Simon,

If you are on Server this is a really good plugin that presents forms:

Proforma

Susan

Kate Caldecott
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2018

Hi all

There is also a Cloud version too of ProForma if you need.  

Kate

Ana Viseu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2022

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events