disable editing summary and description

JW23 March 10, 2014

Hi, I need to disable editing summary and description ONLY in JIRA but allow editing for the other fields. I searched everywhere but couldn't find an answer. Is there any solution like an add-on or something?

Please advise. Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JW23 March 10, 2014

That's an interesting suggestion. However, my goal is to disable editing the two fields completely so I need something more effective than hiding from the edit screen.

Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2014

That's about the only option. If the field is not in the edit screens, then users cannot edit.

I supposed you could Hide them in a field configuration, but then nobody would ever see them rendering them useless.

The Behaviours Plugin *might* do it, but I've heard conflicting information about it.

JW23 March 10, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion but hiding it from edit screen doesn't prevent editing in the details page (default screen) directly or bulk editing.

How to add permission control for these two fields similar to that of the comment field?

Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2014

As far as I know, removing it from screens is the only option. Note Hiding it is completely different from Removing it.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behavior

There is also the Field Security Plugin, which is a paid plugin. I have had no experience using it though, it claims it can make fields read-only.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2014
Er, removing them from the edit screen does prevent in-line edit. And, bulk edit in some ways.
JW23 March 10, 2014

This actually works! I didn't know removing from default screen prevents in-line edit as well.

Chris and Nic, thanks a lot!

1 vote
Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014

Remove the fields from the appropriate Edit Screens?

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014
0 votes
Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014

Sorry, I meant to edit my response with a link, then my home network tanked.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen

Try removing them from the Edit Screen of the project. That will prevent the fields from coming up when a user trys to edit. They would still be accessible via Bulk Edit.

0 votes
JW23 March 10, 2014

I don't know. What about details page as you can click them to enter edit mode?

Suggest an answer