View sub-tasks on my sprint board *without* using the "group by subtasks" option?

will.portman September 18, 2019

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to view sub-tasks on my sprint board *without* using the group by sub-tasks option? It is helpful to view sub-tasks on the board in order to track their progress to "done," but the "group by sub-tasks" option for doing this isn't ideal, for three reasons:

1) It adds a bunch of swimlanes to the board, making the board a lot longer & more complex.

2) It pushes issues without subtasks to the bottom of the board; however, if anything I'd like for these issues to be at the top.

3) The subtask parent issue is no longer listed as a card on the board, in its own column (I guess the thinking here is that subtasks account for 100% of parent issue requirements, but this isn't always the case).

Ideally, I would be able to see subtasks showing up as cards on my sprint board alongside other issue types, such as user stories and bugs. There would be no swimlanes. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Will Portman

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hello Will,

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I believe you are talking about a Next-gen board. Is it correct?

Currently, the only way to display sub-task issues in Next-gen boards is by using the "Group By" functionality you mentioned, however, we understand that sometimes it is not the more useful view depending on how you are managing your team.

That being said, we have created a feature request to enable the displaying of sub-tasks as any other issues in the board, like available in Classic projects:

ability to view subtask in next gen board

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, you can either migrate your next-gen issues to a classic project (This is the recommended approach) or create a new Classic board to handle your next-gen issues, however, this second approach can cause some reports and features to don't work as expected.

Let me know if this information helps.

will.portman October 1, 2019

Thanks @Petter Gonçalves for confirming - disappointing that this functionality isn't available in Next Gen, but helpful to confirm!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2019

You are welcome, Will.

We are sorry that this lack is affecting your team.

Please, feel free to add your feedback as a comment to the mentioned feature request, explaining with details how this lack is impacting your team so our product managers can have a better idea of how this implementation would improve Jira functionality.

Also, don't hesitate in letting me know in case you have any other questions. Have a nice day!

Like will.portman likes this

Suggest an answer