Vlad Tulupov February 1, 2018

2018-02-01 11_33_22-DC2-JIRA-HD01 - Remote Desktop Connection Manager v2.7.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

This is a fairly common problem to find after an upgrade to Jira.  Some older versions of Jira were not checking for this.   In some cases you might never notice a problem when running similar collations.  However, since Atlassian is not testing every possible collation, it is probably best to correct this by creating a new database with the correct collation (as listed in the documentation) and then importing your existing data into that instance.

Steps on how I would recommend doing that are as follows:

1. Select a database type/version from our Supported platforms - Atlassian Documentation
  2. Create a new blank database per Connecting JIRA to a database, (paying close attention to the correct collation for that database type)
  3. Gather an XML backup of your JIRA instance. Even if you can't start JIRA, you can still find a recent one of these backups in the filesystem of the JIRA server. By default this is saved in <jira-home>/export/ folder
  4. Stop JIRA,
  5. Run the JIRA Configuration tool to tell JIRA to use the new blank database, save these changes, (if you can't run this, then you can just directly edit the <jira-home>/dbconfig.xml file to make these changes)
  6. Start JIRA up again (when JIRA starts with an empty database, it automatically launches the setup wizard)
  7. Copy the export XML zip file from <jira-home>/export/ into <jira-home>/import/
  8. Then you can import the backup using the 'Import your data' link in the setup wizard

By following these steps you can then import your previous data into a supported database with the correct database setup.

I would recommend avoiding trying to change the collation on an existing database, in theory it is possible, but I have found it can be difficult to do correctly, and this method is usually more successful.

Andy

Vlad Tulupov February 5, 2018

Yes, I created new database and from the old one I Imported into the new one and it all worked. Thank you. 

Suggest an answer