How to search for one project in a program?

Andrew Chung October 31, 2019

Has anyone been on a program that had more than one project? If so, if you use JQL, is there a hierarchy where the program is listed first then the project? I thought JIRA only had a project level based search method.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

I am not familiar with a "Program". Maybe this is something unique to Server or maybe this is associated w/ an addon or maybe Portfolio? Can you elaborate? You can certainly filter on a project in Jira (project = myproject....)

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

server doesn't have programs. Maybe the enterprise version. 

Andrew Chung October 31, 2019

Sorry for being vague. This might not apply but a program is a collection of similar projects. In JIRA i believe I only have project visibility. I had the opportunity once to work at a company where in order to find my project I had to enter some extra text in the issues area. The extra text was more than just project = abc. So my question is attempting to resolve that issue. What was the extra text and why is it needed?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2019

There isn't anything like this in Jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

Closest I can get is "Project category", which is just a simple grouping, certaintly not a "program" in natural language. 

As a consultancy/partner/general-business-using-jira-for-a-lot-of-stuff, Adaptavist groups projects into categories that give a very broad description of what they're for.  We create a project (sometimes several) for each client, we have projects for logging different HR-ish things, marketing, events, and so-on.

At a very rough level, we do categorise them - all the client projects are in the client category, all the HR stuff is in HR, and so-on.

This does not feel like "programs".  You could try to do a program with categories, but it would only work if every project was clearly within a single program.

Suggest an answer