How to filter by category both the dashboards and the projects in issue creation form project list?

Javier September 24, 2011

Hi everyone,

In our Jira installation, the projects are grouped in project categories.

Due to the profiles and roles of the technical staff, they need several dashboards per project (assigned, dispatched and so on).

At the end, if each project category owns 10 projects, and one user provide support to 2 project categories, he needs 30 dashboards.

My question is: Is there a way to select a project category and show only the dashboards related to that category?

I have found 3 workarounds, but I prefer knowing if JIRA's gurues keep something in mind that could help me.

Workaround 1: Create only a version of each dashboard and keep a set of favourite filters and change the view depending upon user needs > this workaround would make me grant dashboard edition permission to users and it will not filter the project name by category in the issue creation form.

Workaround 2: Create a user for each category. As dashboards are set to user, it will solve both problems (dashboard selection and display and project list in issue creation). But it would make me create one user per project category.

Workaround 3: Create a Jira instance per category. It will solve both problems too but, instead of we have bought a unlimited license, we should purchase new licenses because they are set to serverId.

Thank you in advance for your help. I apologize for the issue long description.

Best regards,

Javier.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Javier February 23, 2013

Finally, I solved my problem with some "permission engineering".

As users are included in groups and have a role, I have created different dashboards for different roles.

As users of one project category have no permissions to see other project category, the simple proper assignment of permission hides the issues from other categories.

To recap, instead of one dashboard per category, I have created one dashboard per role and let the permissions do the job.

And it works... :)

Suggest an answer