How to create new Epic as part of a Business Project type

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2020

Dear all,

I have created a new project type "Business project" .
In this project I have added 2 issue type :

• Epic issue type
  • Point of Sale custom issue type

What i need to do is to create an Epic issue with its name as "US Market" for instance

Then issue created using Point of Sale type should have an Epic Link to which I could see the "US Market " created before.

oxrY18x4g3.pngCtAOcGeafF.png

The problems I have is that when I add the field Epic Name to my different Epic type screens (Create/Edit/View), it is not visible at all.

My Goal :

I need to create specific Epic for my business project and link Point of Sales issue to corresponding epic via Epic Link which should display as selection only the Epic of my current project

Any idea how to achive this ?

Thnaks for help on this where I ams stuck for a while now

regards

1 answer

0 votes
Csaba Peter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2021

First make sure to add the Epic issue type to your project.
Project Settings -> Issue Types -> (* Actions) -> Edit Issue Types

image.png

Add the "Epic Link" field to your screens (not the name as you did above).

Screens -> Default Screen -> Configure

image.png

Now go ahead and create a new Epic issue type. Once this is done you will be able to link the epic to your ticket.

image.png

christie.pearson August 25, 2022

We have created Epics in our Business Project. These represent our value streams, and it is important for the team to plan work such that we are delivering across each value stream according to our goals.

Issue:

Associated Epics are not visible on each Issue from the Board view. Without the Backlog view available in Kanban template projects, we have no way to easily see open work by Epic. 

While we can see Labels on Issue cards in the Board View, we cannot see the associated Epic. Ideally, we want to use Labels for another aspect of the project hierarchy (e.g. platform or work type)

Impact:

Team workload is not appropriately aligned with the value stream prioritization goals, i.e. we are overdelivering work in some value streams and not enough in others. 

Does anyone have a solution for elevating Epic visibility without requiring a click into each individual Issue/Task? 

Like # people like this
Mommy Bear September 1, 2022

I don't have an answer for this, but also need this for our work teams. 

Suggest an answer