Favorite filters not saving columns

Kathrine Lauritzen September 2, 2014

I have created a filter and chosen the columns I want to see. These columns are different from my other filters. When I save however, the column view is the same across filters. How do I change that?

7 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2014

Here a snippet out of the documentation:

To add a column layout to a saved filter:

1. Choose Issues > Manage Filters.
  2. Click the My tab. This tab displays all the filters that have been created by you.
  3. Locate the filter you wish to update; click the filter's name to display the results. Be sure you are viewing the filter in the List view so that you see the columns.
  4. Configure the column order as desired by clicking on the column name and dragging it to the new position. Your changes are saved and will be displayed the next time you view this filter.

That should answer your originally question.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2014

You're welcome, Peter

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2014

Tnx Udo,

I didn't know this yet.

Best regards,

Peter

Anders Dyhrberg June 9, 2020

Having tried and failed this several times I started doubting if this 6 years later, indeed still was working as it was answered her. But the (currently ) essential part is not included.

1: Create and Save your Filter.

2: When you view that filter click "Columns"

3: In the top of that dialog you can choose between  "My Defaults" or "Filter"

jirafilters.png

When you want JIRA to remember a specific set of columns for the loaded filter, you have to choose "Filter" and configure it. Doing that, you are working with a custom column setup for that particular filter, and not just adjusting you default column settings across all other filters.

This is incredibly useful in my opinion.  

Like # people like this
Jenn Sherman September 18, 2020

@Anders Dyhrberg I just tried configuring the filter columns as you described but the changes are not appearing. I chose filter and unchecked some fields and added some others and clicked 'done', but the columns didn't change.  Did I miss a step?

Like Denis Mamontov likes this
Anders Dyhrberg September 18, 2020

Hi Jennifer.
I just verified this to be completely sure, and I would say it still works as I described.
For the sake of completeness, I can add that I originally testes this on "Jira Software V8.x" and just now to be completely sure,  I verified it on another instance in Atlassian Cloud, where it also is working as described.
In the Cloud version I noticed there is an additional "System" option, that I had not noticed before. A system wide column setup, same for all users.

Cloud version
image.png

What version are you using? Not sure if this could have anything to do with this?

Like Jenn Sherman likes this
Jenn Sherman September 21, 2020

Thanks, Anders.  I'm in the Cloud version and was able to get it to work after playing around with it a bit.  There was some weirdness around saving the filter and Jira acting as though I was trying to change a filter I didn't own (even though I was the one who created it).  Thanks for verifying it it the latest versions.

Like Anders Dyhrberg likes this
Stephan Grubbe Sølby October 29, 2020

So @Jenn Sherman what exactly did you do "playing around" with it. I simply cannot make this work. Only my defaults and system works.

Jenn Sherman October 29, 2020

@Stephan Grubbe Sølby  I have no idea what I was doing when playing around - it just started to work.  Today I did these steps and it worked:

1. start with a new filter and save

2. Columns -> filter -> add a field and "Done"

3. The column did NOT appear on my screen

4. went to a different filter and then came back to my test filter

5. the added column is there and when I switch between the default columns and the filter columns, the views do look different.

Like # people like this
Denis Mamontov December 23, 2020

@Jenn Sherman I confirm that it doesn't display the columns right away, but it works after following the steps you've described above. I'm using a datacenter version of Jira.

P.S. thanks for your follow-ups!

Carolyn Clark March 9, 2021

Thanks @Jenn Sherman I was having the same problem with it not holding the changes today and moving to a different filter and back again solved it for me as well - thanks for the tip.

Dawn Rodney May 21, 2021

I have been having this issue for so long. I wasn't able to get it to work even though I followed everyone's recommendations. After much frustration, I finally deleted my filter and created a new one. I noticed that the "My Filter" option in the Columns isn't available until after you name and save the filter. After I refreshed the page after I saved it, the My Filter option finally showed up. However, I noticed that it still wasn't saving my changes even after selecting/de-selecting the columns and clicking on the Done button. The only way I could get the columns I wanted to display was to select a column, then Done, then refresh the page. Then add the next column, then Done, then refresh the page. I had to do this for each column I wanted to display.  I'm certainly not the smartest person around, but I'm pretty sure that it's not supposed to work like this. What a horrible user experience. 

4 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2014

Hi Kathrine,

They columns aren't saved with your filter, they are saved for your account and applied to all filters you see. So it's not possible to save the columns per filter.

What you could do is using a dashboard gadget that shows those columns and is based on your filter.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks. Only issue is that I can only display up till 50 issues and I have more than that. Is there any work around for that?

Ah figured it out - Not to worry - thanks:)

Smita March 24, 2019

What is the way to display more than 50 ?

2 votes
Carl Thompson February 5, 2015

I have a similar problem.  I'm evaluating JIRA and thought the "filter subscriptions" would give me the results I needed.  I have to create daily email reports that contain only specific columns in a certain order.  I can careate an issue filter subscription to do this, but when I use the issue navigator for other research and add or change columns, these changes get reflected back into the saved query.

How can I get a saved filter (subscription) to maintain its columns, and column order?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

When you edit the columns (click the columns button to the right) in your subscription filter which tab is activated Default, Filter or (if you are admin) System. It should be filter, then change your order.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015
Jevon Barlas November 28, 2018

Udo's answer works for me. When viewing the results of a filter, find the Columns selector at right and choose "Filter" to apply the column layout to that filter only.
Capture.PNG

1 vote
Steve Amerige February 7, 2019

When I edit a filter (by clicking on Details > Edit Permissions) and add viewers, they do not see the same column order as I have arranged. How can I share a filter with others that has the same columns displayed in the same order as I have them?

The "best" I've been able to do is send e-mails to persons I want to share the filter with with and tell them how to get columns to show and how to order them.

The present method of sharing filters does not seem to have the capability of preserving column selection and column order. Has anyone found a way to share filters with others that preserves column selection and column order?

James Hendrix February 12, 2019

The answer is already posted above.  Look for Udo's second reply.

Steve Amerige February 13, 2019

Udo's answer does not address the issue I'm mentioning. When I share a filter, I want other people to not need to add columns and arrange them; that is, I want them to see the same columns and column order as I see. Udo's answer links the page Defining a filter-specific column order. Note specifically from that page:

"Configure the column order as desired by clicking on the column name and dragging it to the new position. Your changes are saved and will be displayed the next time you view this filter." [emphasis mine]

When I set the sharing permissions of the filter to Group: jira-users (everyone in my org), others can use my filter, but they don't see all of the columns nor are the columns that they do see in the same order as I have. They even have columns I don't have. I have followed the procedures in the above link and they do work for me, but only for me.

I've verified that other users in my org don't see what I see when they run my filter. I had someone send me a screen shot.

Here's what I see:

WhatISee.png

T, Key, P, Epic Link, Summary, Assignee, Fix Version/s^, Status, Updated, Remaining Estimate, Sprint

Here's what a person who used my filter saw:WhatOthersSee.png

T, Key, Summary, Fix Version/s^, Assignee, P, ProdMgt Priority+, Status, Created, Updated, Components, Links, Development

What is the procedure to either open up a bug/defect or to add a feature request?

Adam R_D_ February 13, 2019

Hi Steve, I ran into the same issue with Udo's answer, my answer seems to have helped people and works for me, please try this:  The trick is to select the 'Filter' button/tab in the columns section and then 'Save as' your query (again).

Like # people like this
Steve Amerige February 14, 2019

Wow... I thought, "What a crazy solution!" But, it has the advantage of working!

I had a co-worker test it (a different one just to ensure a good test). They had to go to the hamburger icon and switch from Detail View to List View, but once they did, they saw the same columns as I saw and in the same order. Yes, it would also be nice if saving filters also saved the same view (Detail/List), but your solution got me to 99.44% (if you know what that specific number means ;-)

I also note that I couldn't just do the 'Save as' and overwrite my existing saved filter. I had to save it under a new name, edit the sharing permissions, and let others know that the link had changed. Again, it would be nice if were possible to update existing shared filters, but again that 99.44% comes to mind.

Thank you, Adam, for your expert suggestion!

James Hendrix December 2, 2019

If you have rights to edit the filter, you can force the save button to appear by modifying the query (and then presumably modifying it back, if no changes really needed).  Be sure to run the query to ensure what you see is what you save.  Unfortunately, simply configuring the columns on an already-saved filter does not bring up the save button.

1 vote
Carl Thompson February 5, 2015

According to the link you pointed me to the column order should be persistent:

To add a column layout to a saved filter:

1. Choose Issues > Manage Filters.
  2. Click the My tab. This tab displays all the filters that have been created by you.
  3. Locate the filter you wish to update; click the filter's name to display the results. Be sure you are viewing the filter in the List view so that you see the columns.
  4. Configure the column order as desired by clicking on the column name and dragging it to the new position. Your changes are saved and will be displayed the next time you view this filter.

This is not what I'm seeing, however.   Any change I make to column order in any advanced search appears to change the column order for EVERY filter.  This means I cannot have different subscriptions with different results, and cannot even have a subscription with a different column order than whatever the "last used" is.

To me this greatly reduces the power of subscriptions.  I'd go so far as to call it a bug.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

It works on my side: The changes you make at point 4 will be only for this one filter persistent. All other filters which haven't been handled that way will use your default and if you change that (by draging columns from left to right) in issue navigator (except the one where you went from step 1 to 4) will change. If you think it's a bug raise an issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:summary-panel

0 votes
rajanibs November 28, 2019

I am subscribing a filter from another user in my org, but I am seeing my default view rather than the other user set for the filter. But he can see only those columns when they run the filter.

It is bad....I tried switching to detailed view and then list view, but no change..

James Hendrix December 2, 2019

@rajanibs See the comments on the response from Stephen Amerige dated Feb 2, 2019.  Your answer is there.

rajanibs December 2, 2019

Thanks @James Hendrix I tried that option and it seems to be working. We should force a save option to get the filter reflected with the modified columns

0 votes
Peter Hill December 9, 2016

I'm having a similar issue trying to insert a filter macro into a Confluence page. When I look at the filter list result in JIRA, the column order does save.

But when the marco presents the exact same filter results in the Confluence page, it defaults back to the some other generic default column listing with a large amount of columns I do not need. I have limited space on my Confluence page to display the results and only want to show 4 fields, so this very annoying.  Is there no way I can add the columns into the filter string?

Adam R_D_ January 8, 2018

The trick is to select the 'Filter' button/tab in the columns section and then 'Save as' your query (again).

Suggest an answer