Exported hours in original estimate not aligned with nr of hours in backlog

Rabia Mahmood September 6, 2019

Hi,

I'm facing some issues with my Jira excel export. The original estimated hours are not aligned with the number of hours that is issued by the assgines in the backlog.

For instant I'am obtaining 350 hours in the exported CVS file while in the backlog the number of hours is 500. This makes the export form Jira not accurate and relaiable.

What can be the reason for this differences?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

To get to the bottom of this, you will need to compare your backlog items to the CSV export items, and there are some quite random questions to ask:

• How many issues do you have in the backlog and how many do you get in the CSV?
  • Are there subtasks in the CSV?
  • Is the backlog over 1000 issues?
  • Are you definitely looking at "Original Estimate" in both?  And not "Σ Original Estimate"?  (I think you've already answered that, but I had to check again)
0 votes
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2019

Hi Rabia and welcome to the community.

Just to verify, you have these fields for the time reporting

Original Estimate: Which is your original estimate as assigned for the issue in the backlog
Remaining Estimate: Which is your adjusted estimate (when someone reports they can also adjust the time remaining)
Time Spent: Which is the total that someone has reported time for. 

All of these also have fields that have a Σ sign before them (Σ Original Estimate, Σ Remaining Estimate, Σ Time Spent): These are the same but sums up with sub-tasks for the issue. 

So one thing that may cause the difference is that in the issue you are looking at the original estimate while the report may use Σ Original Estimate. 

Another might be that you are looking at original estimate versus remaining estimate. 

Rabia Mahmood September 6, 2019

Hi Krister,

Thank you for the reply.

I am exporting the original estimate which is the original estimate as assigned for the issue in the backlog and I'm comparing that with the original estiamte in the backlog. But still I'm facing discrepancies, the original estimate in the exported file is way lower than the equvailent original estimate in the backlog.

Suggest an answer