Explanation of terminology

Jeremy Wadia July 13, 2011

I am a new user to JIRA and wondered if there is a clear explanation of the JIRA terminilogy somewhere?

E.g. What is the difference between …

· Project

· Component

· New Feature

· Task

· Improvement

· Build Updates

· Epic

· Story

3 answers

1 vote
Deleted user July 13, 2011

If you are familiar with other issue trackers then it might help to know that, although the terminology is JIRA specific, there are a lot of concepts that are universal.

For example, the Project in JIRA is pretty much the same as Product in Bugzilla. In Trac (at least the last version I checked) there is no support for multiple projects (or products) so you will not find that term there. Projects are a way to divide the issues; an issue belongs to one and only one project.

Issues corresponds to bugs in Bugzilla and tickets in Trac. In all cases it is the element that goes through a work flow.

Since JIRA is used from more then bugs you have different issue types: New Feature,Task, Improvement. This is a way to classify the issues. Epics and stories are concepts from agile development.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2011

You will find some concepts here.

0 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2011
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2011

usually its me ;)

Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2011

Ah drat, too slow!

Suggest an answer