Adding checkboxes into issue description

Daniel Fisher May 14, 2013

Is there any way to add in dynamic checkbox elements into the description field of an issue?

Most of the issues we create are multi-faceted tasks which require many individual tasks/changes to be completed. While the formatting options allow us to make a list of these quite easily, those working on the issues currently are having to edit the description to append DONE or COMPLETED on the list items once they are finished.

It would save us a huge amount of time to have dynamic checkbox elements that would mark the completion of a certain item, and retain that status when viewed by other users, like the attached screenshot.

Checkbox

9 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2013

No, this is not possible. You should use markups like "(x)" and "(/)". If you want more you must write your own plugin where you can put checkboxes via jQuery on comment field or what else.

Jasim Sajid October 2, 2018

(x) does this work?

Like Chris Luehmann likes this
Jasim Sajid October 2, 2018

(x) does this work?

(/) or this for that matter?

Like # people like this
Olga Rusnak
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 2, 2018

Hey @Jasim Sajid, you may like to check out Smart Checklist plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216451/smart-checklist-for-jira-enterprise?hosting=cloud&tab=overview as well (available for Cloud, Server and Data Center).

Like # people like this
Alexey Lukin July 10, 2020

This doesn't work. Why it marked as accepted?

Sebastian Mendel July 10, 2020

What do you mean by it doesn't work?

The questions was "Is there any way to add in dynamic checkbox elements into the description field of an issue?"

And the answer is "No" - so the answer is correct.

You can add (/) and (x) icons to mark status of tasks in description.

There is no other solution, except with plugins/applications - of which none existed back in 2013.

Alexey Lukin July 10, 2020

It also says "You should use markups like "(x)" and "(/)"." but adding (x) is not working - it stays as text, not converted to checkbox

Sebastian Mendel July 11, 2020

Adding "(x)" when editing the "Description" field in "text" mode, or any other field of type text, which is the rendered with the Wiki style renderer, results in a rendered red cross.

No one wrote that it gets converted to a checkbox.

Edit description:

jira_description_edit.jpg

Rendered result:

jira_description_rendered.jpg

Alexey Lukin July 11, 2020

Yes, that's what I was expecting, but this is what happening instead.

TK board - Agile Board - JIRA 2020-07-11 12-42-17.png

In our JIRA there is no Visual/Text switch. Not sure if it's outdated or if some features are disabled.

TK board - Agile Board - JIRA 2020-07-11 12-43-16.png

Looks like the cloud version, with the new editor. I don't like that crippled versions of Atlassian. ... for reasons.

But ithink you still can add icons via the emoji tool:

atlassian_cloud_icons.jpg

Alexey Lukin July 11, 2020

Yes, you right, through emoticons it worked!

Like juliankauai likes this
7 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2018

Both the Table Grid Editor for Cloud as the Table Grid Editor for Server allow to configure this use case by 

• Adding a column of checkbox type
  • Initialise the grid with the default tasks

2018-07-13_13-58-04.png

Check for more information here 

2 votes
vjain419 August 18, 2016

I was tring to use  tick tag but if do that with below, i lost my bullet

tick - _My task name_ *\[3d]*

Sebastian Mendel June 4, 2018
- (/) _My task name_ *\[3d]*
  • tick My task name [3d]
Like Deleted user likes this
2 votes
Daniel Fisher May 19, 2013

Thanks for your answers. Creating multiple subtasks wouldnt be ideal in our use case, as there are usually 10-12 different items to be completed for each issue. Mathias, the (/) is a great solution for the interim, thanks. In the future this would be a fantastic feature for JIRA.

1 vote
vicen July 24, 2016

We have modified the files for emoticons plus and minus and use it as chequed and unchequed:

Captura.PNG

These files are within the folder "Atlassian/JIRA/atlassian-jra/images/icons/emoticons/" in a windows server.

1 vote
vMamr December 24, 2015
0 votes
Marie Eckert September 8, 2015

I don't know if this is still helpful, but we use the following:

In the description of the task, we enter:

{task:id=} (Name of Task 1) {task}

{task:id=} (Name of Task 2) {task}

{task:id=} (Name of Task 3) {task}

etc.

The Task ID is automatically assigned once you leave the field.

The checkboxes are clickable (see print Screen)

checkboxes.PNG

Greetings,

Marie

Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2015

Marie, do you have a plugin installed that provides this functionality? This isn't standard out-of-the-box behavior for JIRA.

Thorben Heins October 26, 2015

Any updates here?

Marie Eckert November 1, 2015

We have a couple of Plug-Ins. But I do not know which one enables the display of these tasks.

Kevin Cressy November 12, 2015

@Marie Eckert - would love to know what plug-in enables this!

Michaela Haimann November 18, 2015

We ran into the same problem. Would be great to know about that plug-in!

Rik Chuang December 8, 2015

wondering if there's any update on this functionality? thank you

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

Not possible and since you're on OnDemand I guess you can't develope plugins. Just a question: WHY don't you use subtasks? I mean it sounds like you were breaking up a task into subtasks and that can easily be done in JIRA...

Cheers

Suggest an answer