Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Product Discovery and FixVersion Releases

Aaron Mosny January 4, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Has any thought been put into how to mesh Jira FixVersions with JPD ideas? 

The way that our company is using ideas is that they start as an opportunity we want to solve for and then ends up becoming the actual deliverable for the engineering team.

It would be great to understand along side the delivery view which FixVersions are delivering against the idea.

6 comments

Comment

Bob Ouellette January 4, 2023

Agreed!

Jake Copeland January 4, 2023

Our company is wanting to do this as well @Aaron Mosny I currently have an automation set up to update a field on ideas that have a delivery ticket linked to them in our engineering project. There's no good way to do this currently by copying the field value so I dump it into a short text field on the ideas. Here's the basic structure of my automation:

When Value changes for Fix Versions

For Linked Issues with Types: is implemented by, implements

Then Edit issue fields *

* You have to use advanced field editing with something to the tune of this: 

{
"fields": {
"Associated Versions (this is your field name to put into)": "{{#triggerissue.latest.fixVersions}}{{name}}{{/}}"
}
}

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 10, 2023

I feel like this is what I was looking for and I'm getting close but I keep getting an error "(data was not an array (versions))"

Would you have any idea on a fix? Versions is a short text field as suggested

{
"fields": {
"Versions": "{{#triggerissue.latest.fixVersions}}{{name}}{{/}}"
}
}

Like Kei Hau likes this
Kei Hau February 8, 2024

Is there a way to add more versions after an existing one is already in the short text field?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2023

Thanks for the feedback @Aaron Mosny . We're currently reviewing how the integration with Jira Software works. We're starting with fixing a bunch of issues in terms of how it scales first though - so we won't get to things like this in the short term yet. 

Like # people like this
Aaron Mosny January 6, 2023

Thanks for the follow-up. Look forward to the integration work!

Johan Lejdung February 6, 2024

Thanks for the reply! What would be a realistic timeline?

Like John Gallagher likes this
Michael Spiceland July 24, 2023

We'd be very interested in this also.

We currently modify the FixVersion for what release we plan for something to be delivered in. While we can manually make sure that when we update the FixVersion for an epic we also update the delivery tickets linked to the Jira Product Discovery issue, it would be helpful if there was a cleaner way.

I don't have a suggestion for the best way for this to work.  Perhaps that's why this hasn't been addressed yet :-) 

Yazan Masafah August 1, 2023

Without this feature, release planning is not something you can do with JPD. We have to rely on other tools like Aha! to plan and manage releases at the product/feature level not at the code level. 

I strongly support adding this feature to JPD.

Like John Gallagher likes this
Johan Lejdung February 6, 2024

I fully agree. The way we work is that at the end of an Idea's life, we create Jira delivery tickets, which are then planned for releases. 

This flow is causing a lot of confusion amongst stakeholders and involved parties as they track product augmentation through PD, but in order to figure out when they are released they must understand the individual user story and development tickets and find out where they are tagged as a release. This makes release planning impossible with JPD and has caused a lot of frustrations. 

Given that the delivery tickets are already linked, and they contain the fixVersion. I think it would be very helpful to get a rundown on each PD Idea of which releases the delivery tickets are allocated to and the % allocation that is released already as well as allocation per release (since delivery tickets can be part of multiple releases).

This would be one of the last bridges we'd need to make PD fully capable as a Product Augmentation tool towards stakeholders and other involved parties.

Like jack_saxton likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events