Jira Product Discovery Automations

brent.johnson November 9, 2022

I've been setting up a bunch of Jira automations to better connect Jira Product Discovery, Jira Service Management and Jira Software.

A quick overview to help set some context.

We use Jira Service Management to collect raw feedback. For us, this is internal users only. Internal teams submit on behalf of clients, end users and partners, but those end users, clients and patterns don't get access to Jira Service Management (at least not yet for strategic reasons).

We use Jira Product Discovery for most aspects of discovery and prioritization, and then Jira Software for delivery/execution.

Here are the automations I set up to remove some of the admin burden of the process:

1. Close feedback if the Reporter has not commented on a medium or low-priority issue in more than 45 days if we're waiting on feedback from them.
    1. This also sends a comment to the reporter so they know the actions to take if they want to reopen it.
  2. Follow up on Won’t Do feedback after 3 months to see if it's changed priority.
    1. This adds a comment to ask the reporter if the priority should be higher and if we should relook at the feedback.
  3. Notify customers when you have shipped a Sand issue in Jira
    1. We use ‘Sand’ as a term for really small LOE issues/ideas and we treat Sand differently in our process than Initiatives and Themes.
  4. Notify customers when you moved Sand to the Icebox
    1. Icebox is our workflow status of ‘Won’t Do’ in Jira Software.
  5. Nudge Product Manager if Sand has been sitting in the backlog for over 3 months.
    1. We aim to keep the Jira Software backlog clean with only items we’ll do within the next 3 months. We clean it by sending tickets to the Icebox which removed them from the backlog view.
  6. When a comment is added → update the status
    1. This will change the JSM status from awaiting feedback or needs feedback depending on who the comment was from (a PM or the reporter)
  7. When a feedback issue is created → automatically round-robin assign
  8. When Feedback is transitioned to 'Initiative - Future Consideration' → create Idea in Jira Product Discovery and link issues
    1. This is where we treat 'Initiative’ sized feedback differently than sand. If it’s an 'Initiative’ size, we send it to JPD.
  9. When Feedback is transitioned to 'Sand - Future Consideration' → create Jira ticket in the Squad's backlog
    1. This is where we treat ‘Sand’ sized feedback differently than 'Initiative’. If it’s a sand size item, we send it to the right development squad’s backlog.
  10. When feedback status is 'Done' → Sync resolution status to be 'Done'
    1. In JSM, this syncs the status and resolution fields.
  11. When idea status is 'Done' → Sync Jira Product Discovery idea's roadmap status
    1. This syncs JDP, this syncs the workflow with another field we use for roadmap views (Now, Next, Future, Done)
  12. When linked epic is Done → Sync Jira Product Discovery idea's status
    1. This syncs Jira Software and JDP when an epic is complete.
  13. When Jira Product Discovery item status is Done → then update the linked Feedback issues to Released
    1. This syncs JDP and JSM workflow status when an item is complete.
  14. When JSM issue is created → update organization field to {Organization}
    1. This makes sure the feedback is visual to our entire company to promote collaboration.

(Some of these could be combined, however, I prefer to have automations be separate because it’s easier to setup, troubleshoot and edit - similar to shipping small stories vs. large stories).

If there are others you’d like to see, or others that you use, let me know! Always looking to leverage automations!

@Tanguy Crusson - Is there an easy way to share automations if anyone wants to use a specific one?

I'm happy to share these if anyone would find them useful.

12 comments

Comment

Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2022

I'd love to hear how your automating within Jira. Anything I can leverage to provide efficiencies would be helpful.

Like brent.johnson likes this
Troy Cope November 9, 2022

I'm keen to see what automations you have put in place between JPD and JIRA Software. 

Like # people like this
Jaroslav Polacek July 24, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson we have JIRA Software and going to add JPD. We would love to change the status/update fields based on the Delivery progress field.

E.g. if the "Delivery status" field is 100% Done, then automatically update the Epic state/update a particular Epic field (Select field - we have readmap stages in that Select field).

Is there any way how we can to this now or this kind of automation is not supported?

Like Eric Jahn likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2023

@Jaroslav Polacek  Check out the FAQ(it's one of the pinned posts in the community): there's a section in there about "automation" that explains how to do that 

Like Jaroslav Polacek likes this
Aaron Mosny November 9, 2022

Please share!

Like # people like this
Gloria Cantareo November 9, 2022

I am very interested in hearing about them ? 

Bart Kerstens November 9, 2022

I'm very  interested in the automations you have made. I don't know if they are usefull to us, but at the least the could be inspiring :)

Oriol Fàbregas Pujol November 10, 2022

+1, thanks for offering

Shelley Montreuil November 10, 2022

Yes please!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2022

So much suspense! I'd love to see what you came up with 🙂

Like Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this
Ian Sperry November 10, 2022

I am certainly interested in hearing what you have done

James Traxler November 10, 2022

Sounds interesting!

brent.johnson November 11, 2022

Hey Everyone - I've added the automations I've set up so far in the original post! Let me know if you'd like to use one of them and I can send over the details :)

Like Michael Hauschild likes this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2022

This is awesome @brent_johnson

Thanks for taking the time to share these. I think the Automation Template Library would be the ideal home for these rules. That way, people can simply share a url and immediately see the rule (and play around with automation if unfamiliar). Here is an example. 

It will take a little time to get to this but I will reach out and update the Automation Library/playground with these rules so we can share openly with the community. Thanks again for taking the time to share :) 

Like # people like this
brent.johnson November 14, 2022

Nice - I'll take a look and start to add these there @John McKiernan

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events