Insight fields to factor into idea scoring formulas

Tony Saia March 24, 2023

I was looking around a bit and could not find an answer, so forgive me in advance if this had already been answered.

We are trying to have the Idea priority/score formula be calculated based on the insight data that is assigned to it. For example, the insight might be a product feedback insight, which include customer revenue X, likelihood to churn Y, competitive risk Z, and the idea score would be a calculation of those insight field values. e.g.

idea score = ((insight1.X * .5) + (insight1.Y * .2) + (insight1.Z * .1)) +  ((insight2.X * .5) + (insight2.Y * .2) + (insight2.Z * .1))

Is there a way to accomplish this?

1 comment

Comment

Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2023

Welcome, @Tony Saia ! :-)

It's definitely possible to do this, albeit using a bit of a complex setup, using multiple insights and several custom fields ...

To get you started, check out this video by @Tanguy Crusson :
Demo: good and bad insights 

1. Create separate insights per type, labeled accordingly. E.g. an insight telling about the risk, labeled "risk", and another one telling about the revenue, labeled "revenue", and so forth ...
  2. Create custom field(s)
    1. Custom formula, e.g. "Weighted Score"
    2. As input, select "Impact", under the "Insights" field inputs. (Not: under "Number fields"!)
    3. Click the "..." for the input, and set up a filter by label
  3. To implement your final formula, you will probably have to specify several fields in step 2, which you then combine together using another custom formula field ("write your own").
Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2023

Nice one @Jan-Hendrik Spieth 👍

Like # people like this
Tony Saia April 6, 2023

Thank you @Jan-Hendrik Spieth
This is helpful, though I'm not sure it solves our challenge. All of our internal Feedback Request tickets are including properties of their own, and not broken into separate insights. They are each an individual tickets, and should be considered one insight. Adding multiple insights for the same tickets seems like not the right approach. Is there a way to refer to those insight ticket properties directly, in the scoring formula? Or would this be something for the roadmap?

Feature Request ticket:

2023-04-06 10_23_37-ZapTest - Issues - Cloud Jira.png

Added as an insight:

2023-04-06-10-26-15-DISCO-1-This-is-an-idea-click-to-open-Discovery-Jira-Product-Discov

Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2023

@Tony Saiathere is no way to access those ticket properties from a formula, afaik.

Also, and again to the best of my knowledge, Automation doesn't yet support insights.

All in all, might be sth for the roadmap! Consider to give Tanguy a ping.

Tony Saia April 27, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Do you know if there is a way to accomplish what I've described, or if this is coming in the roadmap?

Tony Saia May 19, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson it looked promising and I was hoping our team would be able to use Jira Discovery, but I'm afraid it doesn't meet our specific need. All of the priority scoring criteria lives in properties of the individual Jira tickets (insights). The importance of ideas needs to be based on the sum of its insights, and the weight of each insight needs to be based on those properties rather than just a 5 point impact rating. Is there a way to solve this? Otherwise we need to find a different solution.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2023

@Tony Saia currently Jira Product Discovery only pulls specific fields of Jira issues added as insights that you can use in formulas. There's a limitation that it doesn't pull fields of type "number/rating/slider" when you add ideas as insights to other ideas, but we'll fix that. 

Here's how it'll work: 

https://www.loom.com/share/5dd2b7b3769340c496cd54e91984a846

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events