Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the priority score calculated?

Jessie Renton May 23, 2021

Hi team!

We have been using Jira Product Discovery over the last few weeks and are really enjoying it so far. I would like to get some more understanding of how the priority scores are calculated? Both fields (Effort and Key Results Impact) have a score between 0-100 with the options 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100 able to be selected with a weighting of 50% each. The weighted score then has a calculated score of 99, 73, 74 etc which is not what we expected. Our expectation is that the fields would be added and then divided by two. Can you please provide some insight into how the weighted scores are calculated?

Thanks, 
Jessie

2 comments

Comment

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2021

Hi @Jessie Renton ! 

You're right, the weighted score formula is both automagical and obscure, and we're not doing a great job at explaining it in the app. 

Basically, what the formula does is to consider your input and how important you rate it (using weight). Then based on that it gives each idea a number between 0 and 100, based on that input (where 0 is the least important idea and 100 the most important)

Now here are a few examples to explain how it works (Video, 5min)

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2021

Now to make it something I can explain in 1 minute instead cheeky

Like Jessie Renton likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2021

Oh by the way @Jessie Renton we got your bug report re: deleting field options. We currently have an issue that's automatically closing the right sidebar unexpectedly - this is causing that, we have a fix in the works. 

Like Jessie Renton likes this
Jessie Renton May 30, 2021

Great thank you @Tanguy Crusson - much appreciated and the video was super helpful :D 

Deniz Cihan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2024

Hi there, letting you know that still the logic of the calculation is not transparent.

Are any new insights or explanations regarding that calculation?

Best regards

Erin Mihalik May 27, 2021

@Tanguy Crusson Watched the video, thank you for that!

I am unable to see the Edit Field view on User Feedback Impact and Priority Score.  Are these fields and the algorithm behind them only controlled by the application?  If so, that is fine.

Can you provide how the User Feedback Impact and Priority Score are calculated?  Like just what fields and what percentages.  I understand the normalization from your video.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2021

@Erin Mihalik it sounds like you're not a project administrator. You'll need to ask the project admin to add you to this role in Project settings > Access

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.40.00 AM.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2021

This will let you both see how the fields are configured and change that configuration. Let me know if you have issues finding how to do that!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2021

Oooh never mind sorry, I think you faced a bug we had yesterday, and fixed since then!

let me know if it still doesn't work for you - it should be fixed now

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2021

Also, we've added a quick guide here that explains how that field is configured: Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.47.42 AM.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events