Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Idea to any other specific type of issue in Product Discovery project

David Spire October 6, 2021

Hi all,

For now, issues in PD project are only the one which are named "idea".

In our agile framework, which is specifically designed for B&B digital, we don't use iead but rather "initiative" to track any topics from Discovery to Delivery.

To make PD project more flexible, could it be an option to modify the type of issues, or manage multiple of them, as it is possible in any other Jira project?

Best,

David

3 comments

Comment

Chris Timmer October 6, 2021

Hi @David Spire

Isn't an initiative a collection of epics as opposed to an idea? https://www.atlassian.com/agile/project-management/epics-stories-themes

I call ideas "product opportunities" but maybe that is just me.

Cheers 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2021

Hi David, 

Thanks for this feedback. We already have this on the roadmap - so you can track things like "initiatives", "problems", "solutions", "opportunities" and their relationship. 

What types of issues are you interested in, and how do they differ?

Thanks,

Tanguy

David Spire October 7, 2021

Thanks Tanguy, that's great!

We're only using "initiative" as deliverable we track from end to end. But I guess that having possibility to set problems, solutions, opportunities in addition to idea should be great to others.

Zuzana Sekerova October 15, 2021

@Tanguy Crusson - same as David.  We are shifting to the Opportunity Solutions framework and would like to map to this: https://www.producttalk.org/opportunity-solution-tree/ 

Like # people like this
Aidan Depetro September 14, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson - My team also uses Opportunity Solution Trees. I have set up Issue Types in Jira Software for Opportunities, Solutions & Experiments and an accompanying workflow - it would be great if we could map/connect these to the JPD project and use them there.

Each Opportunity can be associated with multiple Solutions (I actually set up Solutions and Experiments as a 'Sub-task' type so they remain connected to the corresponding Opportunity) and we won't promote all Solutions to the Product Backlog, we normally only choose 1-2 that will have the greatest impact on one or more of our OKRs - linkage to OKRs in the 'Goal' field would also be great.

We also use the Jira Cards add-on for Miro so we can arrange Opportunities and Solutions in the O-S Tree in a more visual way which works pretty well.

I love how in JPD you can create your own views, use 'rating' fields and calculated fields/functions - this would be ideal for calculating prioritisation scores and generating the views that are useful for the team - I wish this functionality was also available in Jira Software!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2022

HI @Aidan Depetro , it takes a bit of configuration to do but you can do it in Jira Product Discovery today. From the FAQ:

Can we create different issue types and their relationships? (e.g. parent/child or opportunity/solution)

Not yet, but it's on the roadmap. In the meantime you can use the flexible fields and views system to do this. Here is an example:

Demo: grouping solutions by opportunities. And here's a recording for how to reproduce this configuration

Like Aidan Depetro likes this
Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2022

Hi @Tanguy Crusson  - do you have plans to support opportunity trees in JPD? I am not asking about grouping, I am asking about actually working on tree-like environments, allowing the product manager to work and show it in a more visualized way.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2022

Hi @Omer Meshar , yes it's definitely on the list - we're just not exactly sure yet how we'll tackle that (what's the view type, how we create "types" of ideas without making the system super complex)

jason_bailey June 13, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson any progress on support for this. We are using the work around currently but it is a bit cumbersome and I look forward to a more native support in JPD. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2023

Hi @jason_bailey at this stage I don't have an update. It's still in the "Next" column on the roadmap and we have a lot to do before we get there still, starting from shipping the "stakeholder" features.

jason_bailey June 16, 2023

Okay. Thank you for the update and prompt response.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events