Approval Role and Tracking

Robert Barbosa May 9, 2023

As a program manager in a regulated industry, I need to track the approval of significant project artifacts by designated approvers to meet audit requirements.

Product Discovery has assisted us with the engineering of our process with easy to create workflows, views, and fields. We would like to capture formal approvals by a set of people with the approval role prior to moving forward in the workflow.

Is that possible with Product Discovery as of 5/9/2023?

3 comments

Comment

Antonio Valle _G2_ May 10, 2023

Hello Robert, 

I'm also working in a regulated industry, and I would love to have a conversation with you to understand the use you are doing of JPD; i have the intuition that it can be very helpful in the upstream flow, or demand management.

Robert Barbosa May 10, 2023

Hi Antonio,

I have added an 'Approvers' field at the idea level and am now trying to send a notification to have them use a Vote field to capture their approval.

How would you like to use it?

thanks!

robert

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2023

Hi Robert, 

Jira Product Discovery doesn't have an approver's role, as usually Product managers prioritize their ideas based on feedback they receive from other teams and customers, are the one making the idea progress during discovery, and are the ones creating Jira Software tickets when an idea is ready to move on to delivery - they are the ones "controlling" that the idea meet the requirements.

However, the workflow engine is the same than in the rest of Jira projects. In a workflow transition, you can add validators, that are the only ones able to transition to a certain status. So you can say only users who have the permission "administer project" can move the idea to the status "Discovery" 

Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 16.54.25.png

That might do the trick for you but it is not how Jira Product Discovery was designed initiallly, so you might have unexpected frictions using this. 

What I am thinking about is that the approver role is an out of the box feature of Jira Service Management.

I am not too sure at which stage this approval would need to happen, but it's at the very early stages and that you have a very defined process that need to be followed, maybe with mandatory fields etc.. I think creating a form in Jira Service Management with all the fields needs that has to be reviewed by your approvers would be more suitable. Then when the JSM ticket has been approved, then your product manager can start working on the idea in Jira Product Discovery. That's just food for thought, but Jira Service Management would provide you with more control around approvals (and in general) 

Cheers 

Hermance

Like Robert Barbosa likes this
Robert Barbosa May 10, 2023

Hi Hermance!

Thanks for responding so quickly! I think I may have found another approach that may use Automation.

I will still try adding an 'Approvers' field at the idea level, send a notification using automation, and leverage a Vote field to capture their approval.

I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks!

robert

Like Hermance NDounga likes this
Franklin Russell October 19, 2023

Hi Hermance!

Ideally, we'd like to approvals for some of our transitions. We had Ideas that then get delivery tickets and go through different phases of our workflow - planning -> concept -> design & development -> verification -> validation -> early access -> release, etc. It seems reasonable because JPD has workflows and because workflows usually have approvals. Including this functionality is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you!

Franklin

Krzysztof Bogdan May 11, 2023

Hi @Robert J. Barbosa,

I would like to recommend Approva Path for Jira,a powerful tool that can assist you in achieving your goals. (Disclaimer I am developer behind Approva Path for Jira)

Approval Path for Jira offers several key features that can benefit your workflow:

• Centralized & Clear Status Insights: Approval Path provides a centralized dashboard where you can easily track the status of approvals across different artifacts. This gives you clear insights into the progress of each approval and helps ensure transparency in the process
  • Approval Process Definitions: With Approval Path, you can define and customize your approval processes according to your specific requirements. You can set up multiple approval stages, designate the appropriate approvers for each stage, and establish rules and criteria for granting approvals

These features empower you to streamline and automate your approval workflows, making it easier to capture formal approvals from the designated individuals before proceeding further in the overall workflow.

If you have any further questions or require additional information, please don't hesitate to reach out to us through our support portal at https://warsaw-dynamics.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1 or via email at contact@warsawdynamics.com.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Bogdan

Robert Barbosa May 31, 2023

Hi @Krzysztof Bogdan - Thanks for following up! From this article, https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Known-limitations-of-Jira-Product-Discovery/ba-p/2069648 , it looks like apps like that won't work in JPD. I will go ahead and pose a question in the portal.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events