Product Update: Try out drag and drop on the Matrix view!

Hey everyone πŸ‘‹

We are excited to announce the following updates to the Matrix view:

• Drag and drop bubbles! βœ…
  • Improved styling for grouped bubbles when size is applied! βœ…

If you want to try it out, let us know in the comments below! πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

UPDATE:  All improvements are available to everyone!

The current limitations are:

• Dynamic fields (comments, votes, insights etc) and custom formulas do not support drag and drop
  • Highlights do not apply to bubbles
  • You cannot drag and drop individual bubbles in a group

P.s a HUGE thank you to all our fantastic users who gave up their time to help us research these improvements!

14 comments

Comment

Michael Villis May 16, 2022

Love your work and eager to try it out. Activate it for my wfscorp.atlassian.net tenant please

Jonathan Hau May 16, 2022

These updates look really good. I'm so happy you all are thoughtfully locking down dynamic fields because that would be really jarring to allow changes in values of those fields from the matrix view.

One small suggestion: Would it be possible when someone lands in the matrix view the first time to show a pop-up warning them that if they start dragging bubbles it changes the value in the respective X and/or Y fields?

btw - I love how I can easily see a right pane preview of the item when clicking on a bubble. This way I can quickly add an item to my roadmap.

Nate Dame May 16, 2022

Super cool! This will be great! Very excited about this - but the last limitation you noted (groups can only be dragged as a group, not individually) means this is something I really can't use yet: https://pr.fnd.st/WnuyLk9Q

Screen Recording 2022-05-16 at 10.01.00 AM.gif

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2022

Hi!

Interesting feature...How can the drag-and-drop be disabled to prevent accidentally altering scoring which was entered for ideas?  That would allow using such views for read-only context in conversations.

Sarah Stenhouse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2022

Hey @Michael Villis Thank you for the kind words β˜ΊοΈ I have turned the drag and drop functionality on for your instance! Please let me know what you think πŸ₯³

Like β€’ Michael Villis likes this
Sarah Stenhouse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2022

Hey @Jonathan Hau

I'm glad to hear that locking down dynamic fields is something you find valuable! We thought this would be the best solution given they require some sort of external input or are part of a formula.

Thank you for your pop up suggestion - I'm curious to learn if you didn't expect the values to change in the field when you moved the bubble?

"btw - I love how I can easily see a right pane preview of the item when clicking on a bubble. This way I can quickly add an item to my roadmap." I have shared this with the team πŸ«Ά

Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Stenhouse
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2022

Hi @Nate Dame

Thanks for getting in touch with this feedback. We decided not to support card drag and drop in the side panel as a tradeoff to release the bubble drag and drop faster. Would you be up for having a chat about why you think the matrix view isn't usable without this? Here is a link to my calendar to set up a time if that's easier. 

Thanks,

Sarah

Nate Dame May 19, 2022

Hi Sarah! Happy to talk, but it's pretty straight-forward. As far as I can tell, if there are multiple cards in each grid position, you are only able to drag ALL of those cards to a different grid position.

I never need to do that :)  The only need I would have to drag from one grid position to another would be for one card at a time.

Like β€’ Sarah Stenhouse likes this
Sarah Stenhouse
Atlassian Team
May 20, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to disable the drag and drop. However, if your project is private and invited users are given "viewer" permissions they will not be able to move the idea bubbles. Please let me know if you need any more help with this.

Thanks,

Sarah 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2022

Thanks, @Sarah Stenhouse 

That suggestion helps for edge cases, but no so much when using such Jira Product Discovery projects for portfolio management...where lots of people may need to see, comment, contribute...and...we don't want them to alter defined mechanisms for scoring things like sizing, value, etc. (accidentally or intentionally).  And with no "undo" in many areas of Jira Cloud, the user cannot self-serve to fix their error.

We will investigate possible work-arounds with:

• automation rules to undo such edits by unexpected users (provided those fields are accessible as smart values or via the REST API)
  • intake-only projects to feed the actual portfolio one, although that seems like it will inhibit a lot of participation/contribution to ideas

Kind regards,
Bill

Like β€’ Sarah Stenhouse likes this
Sarah Stenhouse
Atlassian Team
May 25, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy ,

If possible, could we have a call together to discuss how you use the matrix? I would love to learn more about your use case. Here is a link to my calendar for ease.

Thanks,

Sarah 

Sarah Stenhouse
Atlassian Team
May 25, 2022

UPDATE: Hey! The improvements listed above are now available to everyone πŸ™Œ

Nate Dame May 25, 2022

@Sarah Stenhouse improvements in the parent comment, or something else?

Sarah Stenhouse
Atlassian Team
May 25, 2022

Hey, @Nate Dame Good point! I will clarify :) I was referring to the drag and drop functionality, including the new styling for grouped bubbles when sizes are applied. It was originally only available to a few selected users, but now it is available to everyone. 

You may not have seen this but I published a guide in the Matrix view which includes a tip on how to edit the values of grouped ideas. Here is a loom with more information.

Thanks,

Sarah 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events