ACTION REQUIRED: how to move from Beta to the Free or Standard plans of Jira Product Discovery (JPD)

Note: If you have been blocked from accessing your Jira Product Discovery project, just follow these steps to restore access instantly. You need to be a site admin:

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select :gear: > Billing.
  2. For Jira Product Discovery, select Manage > Change plan, and then choose the plan that's available to you
    1. If it's the free plan: you're done
    2. If it's the standard plan: select that. This will start a free 14 day trial. You'll have 14 days to do the steps below and decide if you:
      1. Stay on the Standard plan, or
      2. Downgrade to the free plan (and you won't be charged anything)

Move from Beta to the Free or Standard plan

The time for the next Jira Product Discovery (JPD) phase has arrived! All our Beta customers can now move to the Free or Standard plan. We are grateful for all the feedback you've provided during our beta period, which has helped us shape the product into what it is today.

We've prepared detailed steps for you to complete the transition. Rest assured, your data will not be affected as part of this transition, and you won't be charged unless you've completed the move to the Standard plan.

During Beta, the Jira Product Discovery did not enforce product access checks: this meant that a user with product access to any Jira product also had access to JPD. In the Free and Standard plans, product access checks are enforced: this means that a user can only be a creator if they have JPD product access.

Jira Product Discovery plans and pricing

Now, Jira Product Discover has Free and Standard pricing plans where:

• In the Free plan, you can have up to 3 free creators and unlimited contributors.

• In the Standard plan, you have unlimited creators and contributors:

• Creators are charged $10 per month, with volume discounts - the more creators you have, the less you pay per creator.

• If you wish to be on an annual subscription, please reach out to your enterprise advocate or contact us here.

• Contributors are free.

More details on pricing are here.

Note: Users in Jira Product Discovery can access JPD projects without product access (a license). Users can have different project roles—a creator role requires product access, and a contributor role does not require product access. This is great for people you want to contribute without edit permissions.

Transfer to a Free or Standard plan

Before you begin

• You need to be a Jira site administrator to perform most of the described actions.

• You need to understand the difference between the creator and contributor roles.

The creator and contributor roles in Jira Product Discovery determine which features are available to each role.

Creator

Contributor

Creator is a licensed user with product access to Jira Product Discovery.

Can use all available features of Jira Product Discovery

• Create ideas

• Edit ideas

• Add comments, insights, votes and reactions

• Create and edit fields and views

• Administer the project

• Add users to the project

• Manage sharing

Contributor is an unlicensed user who doesn't require product access to Jira Product Discovery.

Can, based on what creators make available

• Open the project in read-only

• Add comments, insights, votes and reactions

• Create ideas

Cannot

• Edit ideas

• Create and edit fields and views

• Administer the project

Watch a video about creators and contributors.

1. Create the contributors group

The first step is to make sure that the contributors group is enabled.

Steps

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select ⚙️ > Products, and then on the left sidebar, select Access under Jira Product Discovery.

2. Enable the contributors group so the users can access Jira Product Discovery projects as contributors. You can also select an existing group to be JPD contributors here.

Only site admins can manage who is in the contributors group. Members of this group will be able to access Jira Product Discovery projects that have been shared with them. Do not add product access to JPD to this group, otherwise every user in this group will consume a license. This is a special group that JPD knows to read from to get the list of contributors.

Watch a video how to create the contributors group.

Who can be a contributor?

To make sure that users are contributors, the site admin should check one of the following criteria:

1. Whether the user has product access to a Jira product:

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select ⚙️ > User Management > Directory.

2. Find the needed user, and then select the name. They are a contributor by default if they have product access to Jira Software, Jira Service Management or Jira Work Management.

2. Whether the user is added as a member of the contributors group:

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select ⚙️ > User Management > Directory

2. Find the needed user, and then select the name.

3. If the user is not added to the contributors group, select Add to groups, and then add the user to the Jira Product Discovery contributors group: jira-product-discovery-contributors-xxx.

2. Manage product access

Site admins should verify whether the creator roles are set correctly. Creators are paid users who get a license and product access to Jira Product Discovery.

To manage product access:

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select ⚙️ > User Management > Directory.

2. Find the needed user, select the name, and then check what products and groups this person has access to.

3. To provide product access, click Grant access > Jira Product Discovery, and then from the dropdown, select User > Grant access.

Watch a video how to add creators or contributors.

3. Remove product access from site admins (optional)

If you began using Jira Product Discovery before July 19, 2023, check whether the site-admins group has been granted automatic product access.

By default, when you add a new product to a site, the site-admins group is given access to that product. It means that every site administrator will have product access to Jira Product Discovery as a creator and consume a license.

To prevent this:

2. On the left sidebar, select Groups > site-admins group, and then for Jira Product Discovery, select NoneThis change sometimes takes a few minutes to be applied across the system.

Note: Trusted users (a deprecated user experience) will also consume a license for all products on the site. In this case, the only workaround is to change the user's role to either Basic or Site-admin after removing product access from the site-admins group.

4. Test your setup

During the Beta, contributors could access all features that are now available only for creators. Once you are done with the previous steps, we recommend project admins test the setup by enforcing product access checks. In this way, you can ensure the product behaves exactly as it will once you transfer to the Free or Standard plan.

1. Go to Jira Product Discovery project, and then select Project Settings > Access.

2. Click Beta edition info, and then select Enforce product access checks.

Watch a video how to enforce product access checks.

5. Manage your plan

You can now verify the number of billable users (creators) and upgrade to Jira Product Discovery's Free or Standard plan.

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select ⚙️ > Billing

2. For Jira Product Discovery, select Manage > Change plan, and then choose the needed plan.

If the number of users in the "Billing" section in admin.atlassian.com does not match the number of creators you expect to have:

1. Wait a few minutes for our internal databases to sync.

2. Check out this video that explains how to check who is getting billed for Jira Product Discovery and common reasons why that number is higher than you expect and how to fix that. 

Manage your billing details

When you upgrade to a Standard plan, we start you on a 14-day free trial. However, entering your payment details before the trial ends is very important to continue using Jira Product Discovery without interruptions. Due to our current billing system, you may need to enter your credit card again specifically for Jira Product Discovery. If you wish to be on an annual subscription, please reach out to your enterprise advocate or contact us here.

Here's a post explaining how to verify billing details.

6. Allow contributors to create ideas (optional)

In the Free and Standard plans of Jira Product Discovery, contributors can't create ideas in discovery projects by default. Project admins can manually turn on this feature in each project. Once it’s done, contributors will be able to create ideas in the project but not edit them.

To enable idea creation for contributors:

1. Open the needed Jira Product Discovery project, and then select Project settings > Features > Create ideas.

2. Enable Allow contributors to create ideas.

3. Optionally, customize the creation idea form.

Watch a video how to allow contributors to create ideas.

What happens if we don't upgrade before August 17 September 1?

If you don't upgrade to the Free or Standard plan by August 17th September 1st, you will lose the ability to open Jira Product Discovery projects. However, we will retain your data up until November 17th December 1, and if you upgrade to the Free or Standard plan in that time, everything will work as before

If you have issues upgrading to the Free or Standard plan, please contact Atlassian support and we'll assist you:

1. From a Product Discovery project, left sidebar: Give feedback
  2. Select "Get help from the Support team"

Video instructions: contact Atlassian support (30sec)

Extensions for the beta

We extended the beta period for certain customers who required annual billing or pay through Partners to allow more time to complete the transition.

We are excited to announce that annual billing is now available and our beta is coming to an end. If your beta has been extended due to annual billing requirements, please reach out to your enterprise advocate or contact us to move to a Free or Standard plan by December 4, 2023.

If you are not in this cohort, the deadline remains August 17 September 1.

102 comments

Comment

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Hello! I'm trying to switch to the Free plan, but can't remove one of the user's access to JPD due to them being a site admin. They don't actually need access to JPD for any reason. Is there a workaround to this?

Like # people like this
Jack Arndt May 15, 2023

At the end of the post, it mentions a '60 days' timeline, but since August 17 is 94 days away, it's unclear if that means the end of the 60 days falls on August 17 or if the 60-day period has already begun.

Could you please clarify the timeline?

Like Janio likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2023

Good catch @Jack Arndt - it's August 17, I removed the 60 days thing

Like Jack Arndt likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2023

@Amanda Barber you should be able to remove their product access if you're a site admin yourself, otherwise you'll need to ask a site administrator to do it for you. 

Like Monique vdB likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Thanks, @Tanguy Crusson! We are both site admins. This is what I see when I try to edit the access:

image.png

Like # people like this
Len Bergman May 15, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson , Thank you for all the helpful info.  When I try to Create a Contributors Group, I am getting the following error screen.  Any ideas?

Screenshot 2023-05-15 153236.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2023

@Amanda Barber I tried this and found out what's going on: by default, when you add a new product, product access is automatically added to the site-admins group. Meaning site administrators will automatically be given product access, consuming a license.

What you can do is open that group, and remove the Jira Product Discovery / User role:

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 10.53.11.png

Can you please check this works for you? I'll add this to the FAQ, thanks!

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2023

@Len Bergman we're investigating. Would you mind sharing a quick video recording of what you tried to do? tcrusson@atlassian.com

Thanks!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2023

@Len Bergman ok we found out what happened: that is because you are not a site administrator (that link should be disabled, we're changing that now). You'll need to ask a site administrator to do this for you. 

Like Len Bergman likes this
Alexandre Dury May 16, 2023

Hi there,

This page and this one both mention that only creators can create ideas. However, in this page that seems newer, it seems to indicate otherwise: 
Capture d’écran 2023-05-16 à 16.51.49.png

This makes a huge difference for us, as you can imagine.
Could you fix the according mistake and tell me which page says the truth?

Also, do you have any visibility about the Stakeholder role?

Thank you!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2023

Thanks, @Tanguy Crusson - I couldn't do it the way it showed in your instructions/image, but this is where I was able to change the access.image.png

Like Danny Campeau likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2023

OK cool, different version of the admin screen. Thanks @Amanda Barber !

Like Monique vdB likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2023

@Alexandre Dury the newer page is correct : contributors can create ideas. I'll mark the older one as invalid.

The stakeholder feature is still in progress. We should be ready to open up an early version for early access soon (with a bunch of limitations). 

Like Alexandre Dury likes this
Holly Holbrook May 17, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson The way that we're using the Product Discovery Product it's necessary that contributors can edit fields. Is there something we can do to get this option? 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2023

@Holly Holbrook Contributors can create ideas and set field values at creation (form-like solution), but only creators can edit fields. 

Eugen Stolin May 22, 2023

Everything is ready, except the "Step 7: upgrade to the JPD Free or Standard plan", even though I am able to manage subscription for other products. 

image.png

I've sent a ticket as instructed in the video 🙈

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2023

thank you @Eugen Stolin - can you please share a screenshot of the screen from which you clicked to get on this broken experience to tcrusson@atlassian.com? 

Like Eugen Stolin likes this
Laura Friedman May 23, 2023

I thought the Standard released version would have forms. That's what was advertised. Please explain...

Saskia Hoppe May 23, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson I'm trying to remove product discovery from site admins but I don't have an option for 'groups' under the top section 'Directory' like you do (yes, I'm a site admin). I only see Managed Accounts and Domains as an option. Under products I do eventually find a groups section, but it doesn't allow me to remove product discovery from it like you've got. 

What am I missing?

Thanks!

products groups.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2023

@Laura Friedman I think you may be referring to the ability for contributors to create ideas? If so, then that's step 5 in the instructions on this post. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2023

@Saskia Hoppe can you please try "Product access" as per the screenshot that @Amanda Barber shared earlier? 

Like # people like this
Boleslaw Nowak May 24, 2023

Just a bug to report I've noticed - if users would use the `Create` option on the top in the navbar it wouldn't follow the defined create "form template" - it's fairly confusing for less tech savy ppl in the organisation, especially that UI wise it has way more attention with the hard colouring, while the `Create an idea` option in the side menu is blended. (Jira Cloud)  

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 10.34.03.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2023

Yes @Boleslaw Nowak , you're right, it's a current limitation we plan to address

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson 

First thing, thank you for the excellent, step by step, instructions for the upgrade!  This definitely raises the bar for helping in GA roll-out assistance from Atlassian.

I have a question is about Step 3 (optional): remove product access from site administrators

Using this step definitely removes all site and org admins from usage of a JPD license.  Unless this is done, they automatically use a license seat.  Good so far...

What if we want just a few site admins to also be admins of a JPD project (under the project settings > access)?  Is that possible?

Thanks, and kind regards,
Bill

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 25, 2023

@Bill Sheboy site administrators can manage the project settings (including the access screen) without needing to be explicitly added to the list of users in the access screen. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events