Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #2: Let’s talk severity levels

Welcome to your weekly Jira Ops Early access program update, where we’re sharing news and updates on Jira Ops' progress as we work toward our 1.0 release. If you ever want to drop us feedback or ideas, you can leave a comment on this post or shoot us an email: jira-ops-feedback@atlassian.com.

And you can learn more about Jira Ops and start using it for free right here.

For previous updates:

Let’s talk sev levels

Severity, or “sev,” levels are a big part of incident management. They help us qualify and standardize the impact of an incident.

Here’s a quick primer on the severity levels we use at Atlassian. You can learn more in our incident handbook.

Severity: 1
Description: A critical incident with very high impact
Example: A customer-facing service, like Jira Cloud, is down for all customers

Severity: 2
Description: A major incident with significant impact
Example: Core functionality (e.g. git push, issue create) is significantly impacted.

Severity: 3
Description: A minor incident with low impact
Example: Usable performance degradation.

Based on this framework, we offer three severity levels out of the box with Jira Ops: critical (1), major (2), and minor (3).

e1d4fd83-4c44-4172-9e8c-9a1888a8223a.gif

We’re exploring the future of this feature — should it be customizable? Should there be a different built-in set of sev levels? Where do teams document and store definitions of these levels? If you’re up to share some of the findings or challenges your team has discovered on this front, shoot us a note.

Let’s talk sev levels

Gearing up for postmortems

Like I mentioned last week, we’re hard at working building a postmortems feature for Jira Ops. Running strong postmortems are often what separates the service teams in constant firefighting mode from the ones who are proactively improving system resilience and uptime.

If you want to get started learning more about postmortems, here are some of our favorite resources:

Take our user survey

Another reminder that our early access user survey is still open. If you’ve tried Jira Ops at all, we’d love to hear your thoughts. The survey takes less than 2 minutes and we’ll be sending out some swag to one lucky respondent.

Take the survey

Welcome to the team, OpsGenie

Lastly, I want to send a special shoutout to the team at OpsGenie, makers of amazing on-call scheduling and alerting software. OpsGenie is now part of Atlassian and together we’re busy building the future of incident management. You can and should check out OpsGenie for all your on-call needs – it’s our recommended alerting integration with Jira Ops.

Check out OpsGenie

Onwards,

Matt

1 comment

Diego Carvajal October 23, 2018

Pretty good article, simple and clear, thanks for sharing. I haven't tried the Jira Ops' yet, but I am planning to start later this week. Will try to capture as much data as possible to provide you with any applicable feedback. 

Regards,

Diego C.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events