Jira for iOS - Request - Ability to Move Issue to a Different Project (i.e Change Issue Key)

Evan Gilner April 23, 2021

Hi, the title basically says it all but it would be extremely beneficial for myself and my team if the ability to move requests to different projects as needed could be developed for Jira Mobile (I use iOS). 

If implemented (along with the bug fix to allow for Request Types to be edited which I've been told is coming), I would be able to use Jira for iOS for the vast majority of my JSD work, which would be awesome!

Thanks,

Evan

(posted this in the wrong place before sorry)

1 answer

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2021

Hi! 

Could you share your use case, please? 

Maybe product management team will be happy to read about that

Evan Gilner April 25, 2021

This would be for tickets accidentally escalated to the wrong queue. Our end users submit tickets to the IT queue, and based on the nature of the issue, I will escalate it to either the DEV, ERP, or SYS queue. However sometimes a ticket is later deemed to belong to belong to a queue different from the one it was escalated to, and so on Jira (web) I will move the issue to the correct Project, i.e. I will change the Issue Key. 

The inability to edit this on Jira Mobile is disappointing, though not as much as the inability to edit the Issue Type, where for example we have “Problem”, “Feature Request”, “Functionality Question/Request”, etc. is actually of greater concern, as this field needs changed far more often as it is defined by the user in the initial IT ticket that they submit. I will put in a separate request for this, I had meant to do so first as I would much rather see the ability to edit the Issue Type field on Mobile added first. 

Like Gonchik Tsymzhitov likes this
Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2021

Thanks for your feedback @Evan Gilner,

I believe you've received the fix for the request-type change? Moving issues between projects, however, is unfortunately not something on our roadmap for feature implementation. Moving them between queues can be done, but not (at this stage) between projects. We'll continue taking on-board feedback, though. We highly value your thoughts and suggestions.

Keep up the great work!

Like Gonchik Tsymzhitov likes this
Evan Gilner April 26, 2021

Hi @Hannah McKenzie,

Thanks for the reply! You are correct, I am now able to edit the Request Type on Jira for iOS, however I am still unable to edit the Issue Type, which I somehow did not realize at the time I made my post about the Request Type not being editable. See screenshot:

206A6313-E67C-49AB-B8E1-2ADF7A1BA0C7.jpeg

I know this post was regarding the ability to move issues into different projects but if you are not currently planning on implementing that is fine. It is actually far less important to me and my company than the ability to edit the Issue Type.  My mistake for not creating a separate post about that issue; if you would like me to do so I certainly can. 

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2021

Hi @Evan Gilner, are you able to edit the same project's issue type via web? If yes, then that may be a bug in the app. Let me know, and I'll pass it onto the team so they can investigate asap.

Evan Gilner April 26, 2021

@Hannah McKenzie Yes, I am able to do so via the web. For some reason the functionality does not work within any of our projects on Jira for iOS. As you can see there is no “>” to the right of the ‘Issue Type’ line, and tapping it does nothing. 

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2021

@Evan Gilner hmm that's odd indeed! I have passed it onto the team and they're going to check it out asap. Thanks for letting us know, and apologies for the inconvenience! 

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2021

@Evan Gilner When you edit the issue type via web, are you doing it by clicking on the issue type icon next to the issue key? Or is it by a different method, such as selecting 'Move' from the dropdown menu?

Evan Gilner April 27, 2021

Thank you I appreciate it! I am able to edit the Issue Type on web via either clicking in the Issue Type field on the right hand side of the screen, or via ‘move’ in the drop down menu. 

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2021

@Evan Gilner To make sure I understand, is this via the backlog, when you select an issue and the issue's details appear in a panel on the right of the screen? That's where you're able to select the issue type icon and edit it?

Evan Gilner April 28, 2021

My apologies, I'm not sure what screen you're referring to when you talk about the backlog, are you talking about the alternate search view where you can scroll through your results on the left side and see your selected issue on the right side (like in an email app)? 

Anyways it seems like I misspoke, and there is actually no 'Issue Type' field exposed (or able to be exposed I believe) within the Issue form fields on the right side of the Issue View. To change this I must select 'Move' from the 3-dot menu where you are also able to move the Issue to a different Project.

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2021

Hi @Evan Gilner, that's my mistake, I'm mixing up Jira Service Management with Jira Software (hence the reference to a backlog!). Apologies. So it seems in this case, the field has been configured to not be editable, however even when the field is configured that way, you can still 'move' an issue and simultaneously change the issue type; that's not a bug. Hope that clears things up smile

Thanks again for the great feedback! Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events