Announcement: Sunsetting the Jira Cloud for Mac App

267 comments

lululombard March 23, 2022

@Scott DavenportThank you! I just signed up to test it. It's crazy we need 3rd party apps for this.

Like # people like this
Gutte March 24, 2022

@Scott Davenport is it a native app? written in swift?

Scott Davenport March 24, 2022

Hi @Gutte we are focused right now on a web application to address user across platforms.  Our focus from day 1 has been speed, speed, speed whether it's creating issues, editing them, using boards or search.  The features focused so we can build the fastest experience possible.  We are a small team and built this to make ourselves more productive in Jira, we think it will achieve that goal for many and would love to have you give it a shot.

Like # people like this
Terry Young March 25, 2022

This is a bad decision. If you accidentally close your web browser you have to open it and log in again. Nobody likes to work from the web all day. The Jira website is so ugly and bright that it hurts my eyes.

Like # people like this
Craig Rouse March 25, 2022

Hopefully Atlassian can see from the comments that there is a lot of love for the Mac app. It might not be perfect, but for most tasks, it beat the web app for me hands-down. I'll keep using it until it's no longer usable, which hopefully won't be for a very long time, unless they change the APIs it uses.

Like Chris Hatton likes this
Jackson March 28, 2022

Please, everybody who doesn't want to native macOS App being stopped, go vote here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-78044 and write that we don't want an electron app, but a real native app. Otherwise, the issue is not being looked at, since the suggestion doesn't have enough votes yet.

Like Daniel Bergquist likes this
Jan Harasym March 31, 2022

Hello, very unimpressed by this decision, the Mac app is greatly more performant than the sites and made using Jira Software bearable. The choice to only support the web version will definitely cause me to reconsider using jira in future.

Austin Songer April 1, 2022

All Atlassian does it make mistakes like this one.

Paolo.Pavan April 5, 2022

Hello @Irene ,

is there any chance that a button will be added to close the yellow banner warning us that the app is no longer supported? Something that you can acknowledge and pass on for the lifetime?

Also, I realised that on Catalina its last supported app version at some point refused to work asking to update (which is not possible). It was working until last week as it is continuing working on Monterey so the app clearly has a sort of timeout option to stop working after a certain period.

Can you tell us that in the current last supported version there is not a similar feature and we could continue using the app, which after all does very well what it is supposed to do?

Thank you.

Edit: Good morning @Irene . Please do you have any feedback on this?

Eric Forget April 13, 2022

Jira on the web app experience is so shitty, incredible that this platform is evolving so bad, seriously is there somebody that will implement a native application that make sens ever the Jira platform as Atlassian seems to not be able to do it correctly ... 

Like # people like this
Scott Davenport April 13, 2022

@Eric Forget if you are interested come checkout https://japet.us the early feedback has been great and we are improving it every day.  You can sign-up for our waitlist there, we are letting more and more off each day as things improve so it should be a short wait.  We want to ensure a good experience.  We'd love to have more users to see where this project can go!  

Like # people like this
Jimmy Lin April 16, 2022

I just found this and was super looking forward to a native experience for all the benefits it provides.  Very sad to see that it is being sunsetted before I even got to start using.

Like # people like this
Brandon Null April 24, 2022

Not developing a native app for mac is only a mistake. Support for third-party app options proves this. No one wants to live within a cluster of tabs and login barriers every day. A native app is the way to go. We will continue to use the native app until it gets disabled. 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Bulut Karabulut April 27, 2022

Perhaps the initiative to develop the web app experience is the best possible solution to a larger user base (who are rightfully more upset if said web experience is no good...). The native app isn't going anywhere so use it for all the features it has for now and hope that the future web experience is much better.

Tomáš Holenda April 28, 2022

Please, everybody who doesn't want to native macOS App being stopped, go vote here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-78044 and write that we don't want an electron app, but a real native app. Otherwise, the issue is not being looked at, since the suggestion doesn't have enough votes yet.

Like # people like this
Khaled AbuShqear April 28, 2022

Anybody can suggest better alternative than JIRA with native apps? I'm looking for something like linear but more customizable and more features like reports and analysis tools!

Scott Davenport April 28, 2022

@Khaled AbuShqear check us out at https://japet.us we have a growing community working with us to build an awesome client for Jira.  We are working through the waitlist very quickly right now so simply drop your email there and look for your activation to come through.

Like Khaled AbuShqear likes this
Sercan Kum May 5, 2022

I wanted to express my disappointment here. It is so essential to me to have this app, and be at par with the web app. The web app gets lost in a sea of tabs. In terms of UX, I think that it is essential to create an experience that your users want. This is an experience we want, we need for our day-to-day. If basecamp can do it, why can't you with a budget of x10 times? 

Like # people like this
Youssef El Baba May 6, 2022

Dear Atlassian,

By now it's obvious you made a decision that is completely out of touch with your user base. Given your revenues and the size of your company, you just have no excuse not to support a native port of the iPad app to macOS using catalyst.

Are you gonna keep watching for user feedback for the next 10 years or are you finally gonna admit you decided hastily and get back to supporting this app ?

Like # people like this
Will S May 6, 2022

Let us install and use the Mobile app on M1 Macs. You already do for Jira Server. 

Ivan Andriollo May 11, 2022

So it's time to find a Jira alternative.

Like Daniel Bergquist likes this
Eric Murphy May 19, 2022

So not only is the app sunseted, Atlassian completely removed the ability to install it.  They also broke it just before the sunset date so random features just don't work or it will lock up for no reason at all on new tickets.  

The Jira app that's available for m1 series Macs now requires a very expensive Server license to function.  I think that's what happened.  Atlassian decided that they wanted to move from a free app to one that costs thousands of dollars.  

Like Issac Osis likes this
Trevor.Harrison May 30, 2022

Ditto all the above.  Sad to lose the Apple Mac app, web version slow and not as quick / friendly.

Ben Pate May 31, 2022

this is very disappointing... 

Deleted user June 3, 2022

Been three months or so since the last update, and I still can't see the benefit so far as a user. I also do not understand why the iOS app does not offer Universal support yet, since Sideloading is possible.

Starting to think this was a decision to benefit Atlassian and not their clients. 🤔🤔🤔

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events