Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validation error: An issue type with this name already exists

When I try to migrate a project from server to a cloud I get this error:

"We couldn't import Issue Type 'Struktura SEM '. Reason: IllegalArgumentException: Validation error: {IssueType=An issue type with this name already exists.}."

This happens with every project I try to migrate.

What should I do?

5 comments

Comment

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2021

Is this a new Cloud instance without any data existing in it?

Paweł Jakimiak February 25, 2021

I noticed that you probably have whitespace in end of issue type name. First, please check it and delete from the name.
Second - did you check if the same issue type exist in destination instance?
If in your source instance exist issue type "Struktura SEM "(with space on the end of name) and in destination instance exist "Struktura SEM" (without space on the end of name) issue type, then Jira Migration Assistant probably identity these issue types as two different, but during migration are recognized as one issue type without mapping.

Like # people like this
Jacek Krzemiński February 25, 2021

Paweł, thank you very much. You hit the mark. Thanks to you, I solved the problem. Thank you very much.

Like # people like this
Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2021

Glad you were able to find out the answer!

Just a question to @Jacek Krzemiński & @Paweł Jakimiak - do you believe the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant is doing the right thing here by escaping the white spaces and treating them as one issue type, or do you think it should have treated them a 2 separate issue types during migration?

Just wondering what your thoughts are here as we can make a change if you believe its not doing the right thing.

Paweł Jakimiak March 12, 2021

Hi @Jason Wong ,

In my opinion, current approach is bad. This approach will be good if during migration, JCMA (or Jira, I'm not sure) will treat these issue types also as two different.

Now, unfortunately, we have situation in which first validation treat these issue types as one issue type but during migration as two issue types where one of them doesn't have mapping to existing issue type.

Some objects in Jira Cloud don't have way to change their name (like groups). So I think that good idea will be adding some notification for user during validation about whitespaces on the beggining or end of object name. User will have a chance to correct it before migration to Cloud and avoid problems after migration (e.g. during restoring Jira Cloud backup on another instance).

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events