Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recover / undo import backup destroying previously migrated projects?

I made a backup first.

Then I destroyed our company cloud server by not understanding that import data from backup overwrites everything.  I assumed it would only import projects.

What I did

1) Successfully migrated several projects from self-hosted local JIRA company server to my-company-cloud-server

2) Downloaded backup from my-personal-cloud-server

3) Downloaded a backup of my-company-cloud-server ( hopefully this will save me! )

4) Imported my-personal-cloud-server backup into my-company-cloud-server

After import I was horrified to see all existing projects were gone from my-company-cloud-server and only contained my-personal-cloud-server

What is best way to recover from this?

System > Restore system > Import Data, select downloaded backup of my-company-cloud-server that I made before I imported my-personal-cloud-server backup ???

Thank you to anyone who can offer tips or suggestions or confirm the best way to recover.

Thank you,

-Ed

5 comments

Comment

Hao La July 28, 2021

@Edward Sutton  Maybe figure out the "migration" timing you started the import and contact Atlassian support to get them to restore your previous baseline from their backup.  Good luck.

RJ Gazarek
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2021

Hi @Edward Sutton yes your best bet is to use that backup that our system required you to take, and use that on an import, which will again overwrite everything you currently have.  

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Edward Sutton July 28, 2021

@RJ GazarekThank you for confirming!  I am very thankful your system required a backup.

Is there a way to import projects from my my-personal-cloud-server to my-company-cloud-server?

My goal was
1) Import  projects from my-personal-cloud-server to my-company-cloud-server

I changed project names and keys so they do not match existing projects.

2) Move issues from imported project MyPersonalProjectA and move them to CompanyProjectA

3) Delete imported project MyPersonalProjectA after moving isues

Miles B.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2021

Hi @Edward Sutton - It sounds like you're looking for cloud to cloud consolidation. If that's the case, I have (hopefully!) good news: Cloud to Cloud migration/consolidation is currently in EAP and coming soon.

This functionality will be available in Beta soon, and GA later this year. Otherwise, the current workaround is to consolidate everything on-premise first, and then migrate back to the cloud (typically not recommended).

Please go ahead and sign up for the EAP, and I'm happy to reach out to the PM on your behalf. If you'd like to wait for the Beta release, keep an eye on this space for upcoming announcements. 

Like Sri Kumar likes this
Medhat Ahmed October 14, 2021

is there a detailed article for this?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events